Views
Helpful
Replies

OM1 to OM3

stephen jeffrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have two 4500s set up in a HSRP pair connected by OM3 fibre. All of my access switches are connected to both core switches. All the fibre in the building is OM3. however I have an outlying building that is connected via a OM1 fibre to one of the core switch locations. This is not a problem for now. but if I loose that 4500 then I lose that building. I would like to be able to patch some of the fibres across to my other core but this would mean connecting OM3 to OM1 which I know wont work. So I assumed there would be a media convertor available, something like fibre to cat 5 ones available. But I'm really struggling to find something. Will I just have to use another switch and a couple of SFPs? was hoping for something a little more elegant.

All sugestions greatly recieved.            

3 Replies 3

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are a lot of media convertors.  Transition Netorks is one example. They have Copper to Fiber and Fiber to Fiber converters listed on the link I provided.

My question is on the application.  What is limiting you from installing a SFP/GBIC in the 4500 that would be compatible with the OM1 fiber?

Thanks!

Thank you I will have a look at the link you sent.

SFP is not a problem it is that the fibre only terminates in one room and I would like to plug it into both core switches . only fibre I have between rooms is OM3 so I would need ( although I know its not possible) a patchlead that plugged into an OM1 patch panel at one end and an OM3 at the other. I want to be able to connect the switch in the other building to the CORE2 switch.( without dependancy on the CORE1 switch)

Now I understand.  A picture is worth 1,000 words.   A pair of fiber to fiber media converters should work. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card