cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS 15454 Configuration(s)

daharris
Level 1
Level 1

It's my 1st crack at configuring one of these so, what would be suggested for the following application?

One pair of Cisco 15454’s

-Fiber Type

2 Leaf Fibers Single mode

- OC12 backbone with provisioning for: OC3, DS3, EtherNet 10/100 meg, GigE, DS1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I forgot, you'll also need an electrical backplane. You have a few options so you should read the document I posted earlier.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mvalentine
Level 1
Level 1

You're questions a little vague, could you be more specific? Do you want to now what cards to order, or how to configure the box's??? It sounds like you are planning to put GE, oc-3, ds3 etc... on an oc-12 ring, if thats the case an oc-12 won't have enough bandwidth for you. Also, how long are the fiber spans and what's the loss on them??? The more info you can give the better.

Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me, Basically, I'mlooking for which cards to order. The customer, will probably be configuring the boxes.

I do appreciate the info, and am tryiing to get more info from the customer.

Thanks,

Dave

Card wise you'd need:

2 TCC2 cards

2 XC-VT or XC10G (the 10g card is a 10g x-connect, the vt is 2.5G)

For ds-1 I'd get the ds1-14, each card gives you 14 T1's

For DS3, you need the ds3-12 card, each card supports 12 ds-3s

For the oc-12 card I'd go with the oc12 LR 1550 card (it's hard to say which one without knowing the fiber specs and distance)

for oc-3 there is a 4 and an 8 port card, oc3 IR 4 and IR 8

For the GE you have 2 options the G1K-4 and the ML1000-2 The G series card is 'dumb', 'light in, light out' other node, the ML series card runs IOS and you can do a lot with it. I'd read up on each card and make the choice that is right for you.

These are just my recommendations, it's hard to give you specifics without knowing more. You should also take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_technical_reference_book09186a00801a42a1.html

I forgot, you'll also need an electrical backplane. You have a few options so you should read the document I posted earlier.

Michael,

Thanks for all the input. I effectively think this will at least help me configure the device correctly. I am still awaiting answers from my customer.

I will read the doc you recommended.

Thanks again,

Dave

Micheal,

I just saw your's & Dave's discussion. My question to you is pretty much similar to the previous question but regarding VoIP Deployment on ONS 15454. My network will be based on STS-3/OC-3, OC48 & OC192 and I am looking for the:

"Recommended Solution for the VoIP deployment”.

I request you to let me know the Current Recommended Solution with the latest devices (cards, software releases) Only for the VoIP deployment on Cisco ONS 15454 SONET, this includes:

1) Card Slots & Types (Part Number)

2) Software Release

3) Network Configuration (UPSR, BLSR, Linear ADM, PPMN) – whichever Best.

4) Anything that You or Cisco Recommends.

I will be thankful to you if you reply me back with the LATEST or CURRENT Hardware/Software information of Cisco ONS 15454 SONET MSPP for VoIP at your leisure.

Please let me know If you want to talk to me on it. Thank you

Tariq