cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS OSPF on LAN

thomaslthorne
Level 1
Level 1

Let me start by saying that I am primarily route/switch.  My familiarity and knowledge of the ONS is very minimal.  The enterprise I work for has a very large network where they have a mix of leased dark fiber where an SP provides the DWDM and a large metro ring where we provide the DWDM.  I am having to come up to speed on the ONS quickly and with no previous background in optical other than basic knowledge.  Kind of like drinking from a fire hose.

We have a DWDM ring with about 8 ONS 15454 in it.  OSPF is currently enabled on the OSC channel in area 0.  The decision has been made to enable OSPF on the LAN to allow our tools to monitor our DWDM better.  As I understand it, a requirement for enabling OSPF on the LAN is that the OSC/GCC/DCC must be something other than area 0 and that the LAN area must be the same as the area ID of the neighboring router (the ONS can not be a traditional ABR). 

My questions are the following:

Do we have to change the area ID of the OSC prior to enabling OSPF on the LAN?

What will happen if we enable OSPF on the LAN in say area 1 before we change the area ID of the OSC (documentation doesn't say that I've found)?

When we change the OSPF area on the OSC, will we encounter an outage on the optical ring?  (Somewhere I read that OSPF is only used for the building of the circuits.)

2 Replies 2

kayukovvalera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You do not need to enable OSPF on LAN. Just enable SOCKS Proxy on LAN and Enable GNE mode in Provisioning -> Network -> General. GNE Node - this is Node connected by LAN to your LAN network, in this mode this GNE node will proxy all management traffic to other nodes throught this Node. This mode improve security and you do not need to intergate OSFP proccess of LAN and optical network.

DCN reference here (in DCN cases version of DOC not metter):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/optical/15000r9_0/dwdm/reference/guide/454d90_ref/454d90_netwconnectivity.html

thomaslthorne
Level 1
Level 1

I opened a TAC case for this.  What was observed with the TAC Engineer in a WebEx session was that the OSPF peering established and all routes were exchanged, except the default.  The TAC Engineer was able to SSH into the box and see the default route in the OSPF database (E1 route only), but it wasn't installed in the route table.  The fix was to do a soft reset of the TNCE card.  I had to do this on all the ONS boxes in our ring in order for them to use the OSPF learned default.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card