Views
Helpful
Replies

PA-POS-OC3-LR Sc connector type?

jgomez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

What I need to know is what kind of connector use the PA-POS-OC3-LR. I can see in the manual that is SC connector but it does not specify if it´s SC/PC or SC/APC,

Could you confirm it to me?

Thanks in advance!!

Jorge Gómez

1 Reply 1

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Should be SC/PC.

I've never seen a piece of Cisco equipment that uses SC/APC. When they bother to specify more than just SC in the documentation, it's always been SC/PC.

There are other connector types that are compatible with SC/PC: for example, SC/SPC or SC/UPC. However, SC/APC is NOT compatible with anything else except SC/APC. That's why they generally make the APC connector body or the strain relief behind it green in color, to distinguish it from other types.

If you connect an SC/APC to something other than SC/APC, the result will be more insertion and return loss than either connector type would produce on its own.

Search http://www.cisco.com for the term "SC/APC" and you will find warnings that connecting an SC/APC connector to some Cisco equipment can damage the receiving optics.

Stay away from SC/APC unless you know you need it. You'll know when you need it: they'll tell you.