cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router question for 100mg ckt (LC connector/MM Fiber)

Lentini32
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We're in the process of ordering a 100mg circuit that will be handed off to us via fiber with LC fiber connectors. We're going to need to purchase a new router and wasn't sure which router would best handle the connection.  At this time, we'll be doing basic routing but might plan for BGP in the near future so we'll need to make sure we have enough memory.  Just so you have an uderstanding, from the router, we'll be connecting to a FW, pretty basic stuff.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-jeff

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jeff-

How much of the 100Mb will be used at one time? If you run BGP do you plan on getting the full routing table or just a default route? I've attached the performance metrics for routers. Personally I would lean towards a 3945, the 7200-NPE-G2 or an ASR.

Hope it helps.

Collin,

Thanks for the reply.  As of right now we utilize 15-20mg but I know that will go up since we're growing.  For BGP, we would go partial and if came down to it, we can always upgrade the memory if we went to  full routes.  The BGP portion is still in discussion.  I'll take a look at the attachment provided.

Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

-jeff

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just make sure you find out from the service provider how they are delivering the 100Mb service... via a 100Base-FX or a 1000Base-SX (rate shaped to 100Mb).  Some of the SFP ports that are rated for GE will operate with a 100Base-FX SFP (special part number, GLC-GE-100FX).

Just some thoughts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card