Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP - Rx power high alarm

hi all,

I'm having a few weird issues with 3 Compatible SPF+ where they are giving the following in a Cisco 9300:

Nov 30 14:21:37.000: %SFF8472-3-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/1/4: Rx power high alarm; Operating value: 5.8 dBm, Threshold value: 1.0 dBm.

Basically the emitter is outputting -3 dBm and the receiver is receiving 5.8 dBm. According to this values, the signal is being increased and of course, this is impossible.

I have other SFPs of the same brand working normally, but three are giving this.

I checked the errors in the switch and everything seems to be ok.

Will this be an issue of the DOM only or will the SFP have issues in transmitting data as well? 

I ask this because I'm having a weird issue where I'm seeing in my cameras, some packets being lost very sporadically and I can't pinpoint where. I checked the switches and everything is ok without any packet drops or errors. 

Could this be the issue? 

Thank you

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The particular message is usually attributed to software bugs.  You may for instance use the current advisory software release on the 9300, if applicable, and check if it goes away.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The particular message is usually attributed to software bugs.  You may for instance use the current advisory software release on the 9300, if applicable, and check if it goes away.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the reply Marce, just tried that but unfortunately, it didn't work... it's annoying I have the logs getting full with that

- You could use a logging discriminator to mask those errors , here is an example link : https://writemem.co.uk/logging-discriminator/

M.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are both ends of the same link reporting this issue? If you swap the SFP reporting this issue with another one that was working properly in another link, does it follow the SFP? 

Hi Tom,

thank you for the reply

In one of the situations that is correct, both the core and the access switch are giving the same error in the SFPs but in the other situation it's only one of them.

I have asked my supplier to send three new units and will try with those ones. Hopefully everything will be sorted

Thank you

Kind regards

Hi all,

just to give an update, I changed this three SFPs for new ones and everything is now working correctly

Thank you for the help