cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Temporary solution for a problem - Connecting different fiber types for a Layer 3 routed connection

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

We have dark fiber mesh and I run layer 3 on it for all our inter-building connections. We have an issue with a move and the dark fibers will not be ready in time. Here is my issue...I want to connect the two sites together - with a layer 3 connection setup with an etherchannel if I can even get a single connection working first (basically redundant fiber strands runnning the same path for more bandwdith).  However I do  not have a single run of fiber between the two sites. One half is SM and the other half run is MM and these are log runs but well within the normal transceiver optic limits. I don't have the option to lay new fiber temporary either.  I suspect that I need the two optics at each far end to match in type (or do I??)  and what I want to know is can I place a switch in between the two sites with the correct optics for the fiber type and just set up the intermediary switch as a layer 2 switch as somewhat of an "optic/fiber converter" for this connection and still have the two ends communicate using layer 3 with IPs? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Yes, That is the best option. Connect an Interim layer 2 switch with correct sfp to act as a "media convertor". Using a switch rather than standard media convertors, gives you more troubleshooting options if issues arise.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Yes, That is the best option. Connect an Interim layer 2 switch with correct sfp to act as a "media convertor". Using a switch rather than standard media convertors, gives you more troubleshooting options if issues arise.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Have not personally tried this, but have heard mixed feedback on using mode conditioned fiber patch cords on either end of your connections where you would connect to your respective switches.  Would be a more inexpensive option.  But of course need to factor speed (1G or 10G) and the distance between the two locations before packet loss or performance starts becoming a factor.  This short video is a great explanation of the concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3BX-ExA8T4