cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Node on Ring

cnowland
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up a small ring of 15454's. When I am logged into the node (via CTC), I can recognize and speak to all nodes. When one of our other engineers logs into a different node on the same ring using a different username and password, they can only recognize the node they are in. They can't see the other nodes. Is there a configuration change that I need to make in order to support multiple users logging in at the sametime? Please help...

4 Replies 4

bkurtzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In later versions of CTC you can enable proxy on the nodes in the ring to allow each 15454 to act as a proxy server. The issue you are describing is usually caused by the proxy not being enabled,

In Node view, Provisioning, Network settings, you'll see the following:

Enable proxy server on port—If checked, the ONS 15454 serves as a proxy for connections between CTC clients and ONS 15454s that are DCC-connected to the proxy ONS 15454. The CTC client establishes connections to data communications channel (DCC)-connected nodes through the proxy node. The CTC client does not require IP connectivity to the DCC-connected nodes, only to the proxy ONS 15454. If Enable proxy server on port is off, the node does not proxy for any CTC clients, although any established proxy connections continue until the CTC client exits. When this box is checked, you can set the node as an ENE or a GNE:

–External Network Element (ENE)—If selected, the CTC computer is only visible to the ONS 15454 to which the CTC computer is connected. The computer is not visible to other DCC-connected nodes. In addition, firewall is enabled, which means that the node prevents IP traffic from being routed between the DCC and the LAN port.

–Gateway Network Element (GNE)—If selected, the CTC computer is visible to other DCC-connected nodes. The node prevents IP traffic from being routed between the DCC and the LAN port.

–Proxy-only—If selected, the ONS 15454 responds to CTC requests with a list of DCC-connected nodes for which the node serves as a proxy. The CTC computer is visible to other DCC-connected nodes. The node does not prevent traffic from being routed between the DCC and LAN port.

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Your ONS network has a routing problem. If you connect a device (PC or whatever) to the FMEC LAN port, the ONS believes that this is your management station or router and sends all traffic to that device. In your case you have now two devices at the same time connected. Now the ONS'es are confused and the DCC ring is broken. The solution for your problem is a trick, Tell the ONS via a host route that you connect only a single device to the FMEC LAN port. So create a static route entry on each ONS with a single IP address. The host route should point to the ONS itself. Then use that IP address for your PC. With that you tell the ONS network that your PC is behind that ONS.

An example: ONS DCC subnet 192.168.1.0 /24. The address of one of the ONS'es is 192.168.1.10. Then the host route entry could be 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.10 1

Then use the address 192.168.1.100 for the PC. Use a different ip address on each ONS.

If you have problems contact me again.

Regards

Rene

ppulickal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure if the earlier posts solved the problem you were facing. If they did, then the following post is more of an FYI.

I came across a similar situation last week helping a customer add a new node to their existing network. The user (on a different username and password) was able to see all nodes except the new node. It turns out that this user did not have his/her username configured in the new node. Once an account was created, the new node was accessible.

The account that you are logged in with, on a node needs to be present on all nodes on the network that you hope to access. Otherwise, nodes without your account information will be inaccessible.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Praveen.

Praveen,

I agree with your response. Not having a user's account defined on the node will cause the situation described.

Regards,

Rose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: