Views
Helpful
Replies

Wrong SFP modules ?

leforban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I'm a total fiber noob. A company deployed new fibers but it seems that our current SFP modules aren't compatible.

Switches : C2960x & WS-3850-12S-S

Current Cisco SFP modules  : GLC-SX-MM & GLC-SX-MMD

New fiber cables : 00888 m GIGAMEDIA 6FO OM4 50/125 TBW LSZH Cca s1a d1 a1 TB FO CABLE TBC006A

What do you think ?

Thanks !

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the distance of the two switches when installed?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Current Cisco SFP modules  : GLC-SX-MM & GLC-SX-MMD     - Multi Mode Support - they do not support single mode, so it can not go maximum  distance.

OM4  - go upto maximum of  up to 400 (some says more 500- 550meter - i do see some issue around - lets not get in to that)

so check the distance from end to end if that is less than that distance it is good ( bare in mind this is based on the optic)

if going beyond speed of 10G and 100G distance varies.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

leforban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for you super quick replies !

I've tested the link between two different access switch cabinets. One is 100 meters away, the other one is 300 meters away.

The thing is we have 20 years old fibers going to the same cabinets working just fine.

The thing I don't understand is why the new fiber cable are yellow and supposed to be multimode.

[edit]

I've red that OM1 and OM2 are based on LED light source and needs a "SX" module.

OM3 and OM3 on the other hand are based on laser light source and needs a "SR" module.

Is this the issue ?

20 year old fibre means OM1 or OM2.  This means the OM4 patch cable will not be compatible.  

This also means 300 metres will not support OM1/OM2 distance.  It will need to be long-haul/long-reach fibre run.

The thing is we have 20 years old fibers going to the same cabinets working just fine.

as i know optic cable do not have Age as i know, installed 30 years old still works, but may not support latest trends.

if all working you you should good.

The thing I don't understand is why the new fiber cable are yellow and supposed to be multimode. 

YELLOW Most time single more cabls, Blue or Aqua blue is Multi mode (i seen most of the time)

Technical simple is  - Both side need same Optic (SFP).

#

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the reply.

Instinctively, this is what I did. I put GLC-SX-MMD on both sides. No luck unfortunately.