Views
Helpful
Replies

7900 Series Faciliating Data lookup

memhospcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have been asked to create a system whereby outside callers can call a number at our facility, enter their phone number, and then receive information related to their bill.

The assumption given to me is that our new phones will facilitate this type of data look-up to a database.

I have not found any instance or mention of this in the SDK or other development docs I have found. (Most of the docs refer to internal db/xml usage within a Cisco 7900 usergroup to get information)

Is this possible natively or does it require third-party software or another hardware system altogether?

Thanks again.

1 Reply 1

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Well, what you're looking for is an IVR combined with a billing application. CCM doesn't come with an IVR, so you have to buy one, and then there's the matter of compiling billing records and reading them to the user (so you need TTS licenses). I'm not sure if such an application already exists, you should check the cisco partner catalogue for that.

However, this has nothing to do with the chosen telephony solution.. you can have the same for an Avaya, Nortel or Alcatel system, and it does not make use of any specific Cisco features. So, I think what would be more useful to you is an XML service that allows people to get billing information to their screen. That means no IVR and no TTS (so the price is much lower), and it can be done rather easily (look at the CDR definition and developer documentation, then combine this with an XML service).

Two things to consider: 1) it should not be possible for person A to get the records for person B so you might want to protect access to that service by a password, that in turn will tell you which user is logging in and then you present the billing info for just that user. If you do not do that, you might very well run into serious privacy issues, that could lead to a lawsuit against your company.