Views
Helpful
Replies

AD display name change is wrong

paul.goulding
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.0(2)

When using SAWeb to import a subscriber (exchange) the application puts the exchange alias in the display name field and this cannot be changed, this then updates AD and hence the display name in AD is wrong. I noticed an earlier post talking about bug CSCeb24466 and wondered if this would affect me in this way as I'm not using the Bulk Import Tool?

4 Replies 4

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shouldn't be. The workaround for that bug was to use the SAWeb to import users. Out of curiosity, do you have the display name for that subscriber template set to lastname, firstname? You might be running into CSCeb54025 - Importing a user doesnt import the correct display name from AD

It's set to last.first at the moment, but it was set to first.last previously it doesn't seem to matter. It picks up the alias for the display name (which you can't change is SAWeb) and then updates AD.

I have run into this problem today and am about to log a case with the TAC. My situation is a new Cisco Unity 4.0.3 Unified Messaging in an existing AD/Exchange environment. Unity Administration has been set up to import existing users only.

When importing new Unity users from Exchange, the Display Name in the Unity Web Administration page is reading the Calling Name (cn) value from Active Directory when selecting the user to import and then overwriting the Display Name in AD when the user is added.

(I have just read Bug CSCeb54025 and this is exactly the issue, will chase the ES from the TAC)

When we deny write access to the Display Name for the UnityDirSvc account, we are unable to add users to Unity.

Why does this account require access to write any fields on the AD user account except the cisco attributes? The customer does not wish Unity Account Administrators to be able to change non-cisco Active Directory fields (such as First Name, Last Name, Display Name etc.) through the Unity interface unless crucial to the operation of Unified Messaging.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Ben

i know this post is as old as i am but i was just frantically searching on how to change the display names as well so i thought id post my fix, although it might now seem so basic its a bit embarrassing.

My subscriber template (Not me) kinda screwed up the display name on the customer's  AD. They had first name, last name initially and it actually changed the display name to first name Last initial (whoops).

anywho, i looked at ADSI edit (too risky in my opinion, since im clueless with that utility) and even manually changing each of the 1000 users.

final result, go to tools depot, bulk update and the first tab (Profile) has "force display name to".

that fixed everything and im now in good standings with the customer again