Views
Helpful
Replies

AM Radio Interference

mnelson
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I have a CME 3.2.1 install using a 2811 router and a 3550-24PWR switch. I have 2 incoming POTS lines (4 port FXO card) and 3 phones (7960s). Any call between any one of the IP Phones and an outside caller has a local AM radio station playing in the background.

I have tried changing the cable and the routing of the cable that feeds the POTS lines to the 2811 with no change. I have tried several different phone placements and have seen no difference.

Using a butt-set and connecting to the POTS line at the router, I can make a call that is free of the AM noise.

If I call from a cell phone to one of the IP phones, I hear the AM noise, but if the person on the IP Phone transfers me to another cell phone or a different outside number, the noise goes away. The call is coming in one of the POTS lines and is being routed out the other POTS line at that point.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

Are you using the ADSL line? If so, there are some known issues with the same.

brian.cowley
Level 1
Level 1

Try tying your AC power and telephone cords in a knot as close to the router as possible. If that doesn't solve it, go to Radio Shack and get some chokes: part #'s 273-104 or 273-105.

One or both of those solutions will usually do it. Also, keep your telephone cables as short as possible as they make great antennas.