cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Architecting your Collaboration Solution with Social and Video

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ask the Expert: Architecting your Collaboration Solution with Social and Video with Gebran ChahrouriWith Gebran Chahrouri

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about ways that Enterprise Social and Video are woven into traditional Voice solutions and Architectures  with Cisco expert Gebran Chahrouri. Extend your Cisco collaboration architecture to reach into Cloud and/or on premise Cisco WebEx Social and TelePresence offerings. Gebran will be answering any questions about architecting a current solution or devising a roadmap to take your collaboration deployment to the next level.

Gebran Chahrouri is a principal engineer and architect for the WebEx Social product with a focus on scalability. Since joining Cisco in 1998 he has held engineering leadership and software management positions on products including Customer Contact, Cisco IPICS, and the Cisco TelePresence Exchange service. Chahrouri has nearly 30 years of experience in architecting, managing, and developing software products at Cisco, ROLM, IBM, Siemens, and Aspect. He holds a master's degree in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Michigan and has over 20 patents filed by the U.S. Patent Office.

Remember to use the rating system to let Gebran  know if you have received an adequate response. 

Gebran might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event.This event lasts through February 22, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

6 Replies 6

Hi Gebran,

I have a quick question in regards to WebEx Social. How does WebEx Social improve the collaboration experience? Do you have documentation on the Cisco Support Community about this? I would like to read.

Thanks a lot,

- Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your question.

WebEx Social combines the power of social networking, content creation, and real-time communications. Employees can quickly connect with people, communities and information they need to get work done.

The product tour video (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10680/vds_cQuad_prodTour.html) featured at http://www.cisco.com/web/products/quad/index.html gives a really good overview of the product.

If you prefer a document to read I recommend http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/case_study_c36-706800_ps10668_Products_Case_Study.html

I would be happy to answer any further questions.

- Gebran

John Ventura
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gebran,

I wonder how role does video play in my collaboration architecture?

- John

Hi John,

As the saying goes: "A picture is worth a thousand words", (HD) Video is worth 30 pictures a second, and you do the math. :-)

Real-time Video interactions help reach closure more effectively and efficienty among the participants.

Recorded Video (e.g. training videos) convey information more accurately.

Social places Video right at your fingertips as you interact with your social graph

Enterprise knowledge workers produce and consume video differently in the context of the business they are in.

Gebran

Thanks Gebran. makes sense. I wonder what role does e-mail play in the collaboration roadmap. Do you have any insights?

thank you

- John

Overtime (like any technology/tool) email has stretched its original intent. Long drawn conversations in email chains tend to get out of control very quickly especially with a large audience.

Social tools (Post, Message boards, and Blogs) are a more efficient way to engage in those conversations and is a better place to track both asynchornous and synchronous exchanges between the participants. It also, is great at catching up new audience(s) on what has expired over time and get them engaged quickly to reach closure.

I think email will continue to be what it has always been ideal for; A tool to draw you towards Social and other Collaboration destinations.

Gebran