Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186 impedance issue and gateway problem

brendanadams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have been attempting to use ATA 186's in the UK. This forum identifies Complex Impedance as the correct unit (ATA 186 L2). However, we have only managed to get the L1 units (600 ohm)working (and these only with master baluns). Can you please shed some light on this as CCO has no info

Secondly, is it possible to use a 2620 as a Primary Rate Gateway for ATA 186's on a remote site without a gatekeeper? The Gateway is connecting back to a PBX over a Leased Line Circuit.

many thanks in advance

Brendan

3 Replies 3

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

From what I can see ordering the L2 units will provide the complex impedance requirements of the UK. You might need to see if Cisco has any reported problems (I haven’t done a UK installation). Let me know what you come up with.

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

If I understand correctly, the network will be

pstn-----GW------EThernet-----ATA186

GW and ATA want to converse directly without GK intervention.

This can be done. Create a voip dial peer on the 2600 with the session target IP address being that of the ATA and on the ATA configure the GW IP address, instead of the GK. The drawback - all calls originating from the ATA will be directed towards the GW.

Hope this helps

brendanadams
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for your advice. We actually got the L2's working with the 2620 as Gatekeeper. Point to note here though, is if you want Gatekeeper, you need 12.2.3 or later.

I will be trying Gateway as proposed later next week as it will probably be easier.

Final thought here though, is that you definitely do not need only a 3660 to operate ATA 186's

thanks

again

Brendan