Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto-registration Options for TAPS

Hi guys. we are planning to upgrade users phones to different model. I read about TAPS and I like how easy phones can be deployed with dummy mac addr .  In my case this would be the best option , more than 100 phones . 

Is it possible to add phones with TAPS and dummy mac address THEN  enable Extension mobility on those phones  with BAT administration THEN users log in with their device profile , and that phone will be associated with user and correct mac address?

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're running a recent CUCM release why don't you use self-provisioning?

I don't think you understand how TAPS work:

Verification for this configuration occurs on the user-end. Once the configuration is complete, ask the user to complete these steps:

1. Call the TAPS number from the desk phone that needs to be configured.
  2. Enter an extension. This is the extension that is assigned to the user in the dial-plan, and is communicated in advance. Once the extension is entered, the phone resets and comes online with the configuration that was imported via the BAT.
  3. Verify that his/her own extension appears on the phone, which indicates that the phone is fully configured.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/customer-collaboration/unified-contact-center-express/116817-configure-product-00.html

Logging via EM has nothing to do with TAPS, nor will do any user/device association for TAPS.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

"Logging via EM has nothing to do with TAPS" :) I agree . But I have all users logged in with EM and their own device profiles and I have to upgrade phones of some of them so I thought what if I can use TAPS to make it easy (don't need to get mac address form every new phone) . Sad, now only hope that will send me spreadsheet with phones mac addresses :) .

What you should be worrying about, if they're getting a different device model, is making them a new device profile for that specific model, or making sure that there's a default device profile for it that will work for them.

If they don't really use the device without EM, just having them auto-register is more than enough.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

We are moving from 7965 SIP to 8845 SIP and I tested w my 8845 phone is working fine w/ old 7965 DProfile. I'd not change device profiles for users cause they all have different phone and softkey button templates .  Unless old DP may create bugs while working w new phones. What do u think ? 

You confused me here :

"If they don't really use the device without EM, just having them auto-register is more than enough"-- if they don't use device without EM,they use only EM,  so they can login with their EM extensions&profiles after phones were provisioned w/ dummy mac addr ?