cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

blind addressing and Internet subscriber

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi ,<br><br>I have a bit confusing about the blind addressing and internet subscriber.<br><br>When I am in one organization called domain1.com and create one internet subscriber called location2_ID2@domain2.com and associated with Voice type message format to that particular account. I can send the VM through Exchange server or by phones with searching ID successfully.<br><br>However, based on the definition of blind addressing, we do not necessary to create Internet Subscriber. We just send the message as [voice:location2_ID2@domain2.com] and it would remain the voice attibute to that particular user. But, everytime I got the error message the email address Voice:location2_ID2@domain2.com could not be found. Hence, my problem seemed to be coming from the AD that do not have this user Email format and return as an error. Then, do I need to create internet subscriber every time if we want to do blind addressing. Appreciate if you can give me reply since I need to do demonstration for our client regarding to this features.<br><br>Regards,<br>Bruce Yim<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

No, you don't have to create internet subscribers for all your targets. Blind addressing will work so long as you've installed the Internet Voice Connector on both the sending box and the receiving box. This is designed to work for two Unity servers that aren't on the same network, of course... you wouldn't do this if everyone was in the same directory.

When you install the IVC on either end (on the SMTP server for the site), each new subscriber created will automatically get a 2ns VOICE and SMTP address generated in the form location_userID@domain. The "domain" is pulled off the primary location object of the Unity server, NOT the domain of NT/Exchange... I get a few folks that stumble on that now and again. If you have standing users in the system before you install the IVC, you need to run the Extension Address Utility (found in the Unity program group) to force the generation of these secondary addresses.

On the sending box you need to create an alternate location that "points" to the remote box that matches the domain name and ID of the primary location on the receiving box.

Once that's done, the MS SMTP gateway does the rest. Inbound messages of type VOICE are handed to us and we stuff it in your mailbox.

You'll want to review the NetworkingOVerview2001.DOC off AnswerMonkey's General Tools page if you haven't already. It goes into detail on how this works and runs through some examples for you.

Be aware, however, there are known bugs (fixed in 3.0(3) I believe) with the 2nd addresses not being created where they are visible.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)