cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Routing Best Practices

dpattison
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple locations where calls come in from the PSTN and there are 3 people who answer the calls. Most of these locations have 4 FXO ports for the PSTN connections. There is a primary phone # customers call, and the calls roll over these 4 lines. For example, if line 1 is busy, the call goes to line 2, etc.

The question is, what is the preferrd method to route these calls to the 3 receptionists?

Currently each receptionist has a shared line, for example 4600, that rings on each phone when a customer calls. This way any of the receptionists can pick up the call. We've run into some problems when 2 calls to this extension are placed on hold by different receptionists.

We've also tried using hunt groups to do a broadcast to all the receptionist's extensions. However, it's nice to see if a call is from an outside customer, rings on 4600, or an internal call to the receptionists personal extension.

2 Replies 2

milay
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would say to use Huntgroup & AC, assuming tht you are using 3.3. IF 4.0 use Line Groups & AC. The shared lines is not the best solution as in 3.x when a person put the line on hold and the second phone when off hook they would pickup the caller. In 4.x you can increase the number of call instances per line so this is not as much of a problem.

I would still use AC as you will get the benefit of drag & drop transfers, you can see who is busy, etc...

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was wondering why you said on CCM 4.0 use Line Group & AC. On CCM 4.0, there is option of huntgroup.

Is there any specific reason?

Thanks,

JJ