Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VoIP Solutions

dsheli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have looked around the Cisco web site and have some questions on the voice over ip. If I were to say have 45 ip phones in an office connected to a Cisco call manager were do the calls go from there? Are these phone just used for connecting between offices and in network? How would we make public telephone calls? Would the calls have to be converted back to analog at the call manager? Is there a VoIp service provider that will take are calls? (Such as Vonage) I would like to speak to a sales person or someone who could help me out. I manly want to save money on are corporate phone bill.

Thanks,

David

9 Replies 9

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

David,

You will need a gateway(router bunch of different models) with phone lines connected to it (fxs, pri) or others. This way they can call to the outside world, or internal on the network. I set this up for my company, and we cut our long distance phone bill by 90%!!! My best suggestion is to find out who your local Cisco Sales Executive is and have them get detailed with you. Where are you located?

Geoff

I am in Atlanta. Now did you save money by calling people that were on VOIP or people in the outside world with analog? Who was your telephone provider? What we are going to be doing is calling other people on an analog phone lines. We also need lots of lines for 6 way conference calls.

Thanks,

David

I saved the cash from interoffice dialing. We have 20 locations all over the Mid-Atlantic. I use At&t for phone(pri) and internet (t1). I also saved cash on LCR (least cost routing), it was a pain, but worth the effort. Example, you need to call a person in Macon, you are in Atlanta but you have a location in Macon. You can route that call out of the Macon location, and no LD just local!! Lots of fun!! If you need that many lines you will need a PRI, it is cheaper in the long run. That would give you 23 lines per PRI. We have 1 pri at locations, and 2 at our HQ.

By the way,i used to live in Buckhead, and really miss the girls!!

Geoff

Here is the e-mail for my SE, he should be able to get you in touch with the correct person. Be sure to tell him Geoff from REICO sent you:

blondon@cisco.com

(Bryan London)

Geoff

Haha, I know what you mean... We are moving are offices to the Financial Center right in Buckhead. I was watching the Cisco video and looked at the Wi-Fi phone. That is real cool. So if the device that manages the phone connected to the outside internet or is it behind your firewall. The reason why I ask is in the video the person was talking about taking the phone to the local coffee shop. Another reason why this would be great is that I could have one of the phones at home and make long-distance calls through it. Thanks for all your help. I will defiantly send Bryan an e-mail. If we make a purchase hopefully that will get you a free phone or something.

David

Oh now you are getting complicated!!! I use the WiFi at home, but you need a fast connection and a permenant VPN tunnel (cisco router 827-v) that has 4 pots line ports on it. The video probably showed a softphone which runs on your laptop, and is very cool and easy to use.

Geoff

Oh so the software does all the same stuff and you can VPN with it. But when you have the hardware you have to get the Cisco router. So you could not take the wifi phone to a coffee shop. You would have to take your laptop with the software and vpn through your firewall. Ok. So there is no voice over Ip Company that will take the calls that go out to the world? I would have to convert them back to analog to make outside calls?

Thanks,

David

It really depends on a lot of circumstances. Get with Bryan, he'll answer a lot of your questions. If he doesn't let me know and I'll help you. You can e-mail me direct if you need help.

gbeaty@reico.com

Geoff

Ok, Thanks.