cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Cisco router as a PSTN simulator

Nightwolf_82
Level 1
Level 1

This message was edited as the PSTN config is correct.

20 Replies 20

Hey Terry,

This is exactly what I mean. For instance I've already configured SIP trunk between HQ (CUCM) and BR2 (CME) over Frame Relay simulated network (through the same PSTN router). However, if Frame Relay is down then, logically, there should be the way to process calls from HQ to BR2 and vice versa over backup PSTN network. 

Thank you very much for shedding the light on this question.

No probs - feel free to post if you have more questions. Community here is generally very helpful and quick. See you around.

-Terry

Did you get a response to this question? I notice a lot of PSTN simulator configs only use the ISDN switch type of primary-net5 even though they have two T1 links going to HQ and BR1 so it seems to be a working config but at the same time I would love to understand why.

@Jaime Valencia wrote:

Then just build your cables for T1

@Jaime Valencia By this are you referring to a T1 crossover cable? Yes, Im pretty new to this. CCNA level if that.

Nightwolf_82
Level 1
Level 1

This message was edited as the PSTN config is correct.

Perhaps you all could help me @Nightwolf_82 @Andrew Dixon @Jaime Valencia @Terry Cheema .. please.

voip top.PNG

I currently have 3 physical routers, 2901, 2811 and 2911. In my topology, I have CME running on the 2901. I can make phone calls from extension to extension. Fine.

On the 2811 (labeled Legacy_Voice) I have these 2 serial interfaces (s0/0/0 and s0/1/0):

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional (V2)", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional (V2)"
PID: , VID: 1.2, SN: FOC10110H5C

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional (V2)", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional (V2)"
PID: , VID: 1.2, SN: FOC10110G7R

My questions at this point is.. will the above serial interfaces from the Legacy router be able to communicate VOICE traffic with the VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1 interfaces I have on the CME Router? If so, is it by a T1 crossover or regular ethernet cable?

On the 2911 router (serving as the PSTN) I also have 2x VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1 interfaces. So, I guess it's safe to assume if the above routers communicate (CME to Legacy) then Legacy to PSTN should also work since they are all the same type of interfaces. I have that right?