cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert UCk9/FoundationSuiteK9 licenses to Smart License

nguyenbmt106
Level 1
Level 1

I had a Cisco ISR4431 voice gateway router, it's running IOS XE 16.6.1 with uck9/FoundationSuiteK9 licenses.

Now I want to upgrade IOS to 16.12.5, but I knew that this version use Smart License. I don't know if I need to convert the current licenses to Smart License or not ? If the evaluation period expired (90 days), do the voice router continue to function as normal ?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This would be applicable if the OP uses a direct connection for Smart Licensing, aka connect to the cloud SSM directly from the device. If the OP uses an on-prem SSM the change in certificate should not affect the router as such, but the SSM would need to be updated to include the new certificate.

All this said, I would agree with you that it’s better to go for the version that you suggested.

Response Signature

You should look into the process called Device Lead Conversion, DLC in short. This is supposed to handle the conversion of licenses to Smart Licensing. Please note that this is renowned for not working great and that will lead you to have to open a SR with the global licensing support team to get their help on this. They would require that you provided the license UID of the device and the serial number.

Response Signature

What happen if I don't convert the licenses to Smart License ? the router will continue to work as normal ?

After the grace period has ended the router will stop working as a voice gateway as it would not have that feature set available in the licenses.

Response Signature

I'm not sure.

In attached file, Cisco didn't mention about UC/Voice licenses for ISR4k.

Well we have just done this conversion on all of our 140 or so ISR4K voice gateways, so I’m sure on this. But your free to not take the advice given.

Response Signature

Anyway thank you for your advice, that's useful information for me.