cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Criticiality of COS/QoS in VoIP

0r8it
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully someone can give me the benefit of their experience with this question.

Just how essential is it to have LAN switches configured with COS/QoS in order to ensure good-quality voice in Cisco equipment? We're experiencing some problems when more than 6 or so calls arre on the go simultaneously. I'm sure this is because no QoS/COS rules are in place in the switches, although the routers do- others tell me it doesnt matter.

Anyone care to comment?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

In order for quality of service features to be useful, they need to be present end-to-end. It only takes one link with uncontrolled QoS for your entire QoS setup to fail. Therefore, it is absolutely critical to configure QoS on all switches and routers along the path from one end to the other.

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

In order for quality of service features to be useful, they need to be present end-to-end. It only takes one link with uncontrolled QoS for your entire QoS setup to fail. Therefore, it is absolutely critical to configure QoS on all switches and routers along the path from one end to the other.

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh