cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dial plan issue

rushrush
Level 1
Level 1

I'm implementing a distributed-model ip phone project. It involves about 10 sites/cities, with each site having a Call Manager & some 7910s & a gateway(3662) to PSTN, except in one site the gateway connects to a PBX. Gatekeeper is implemented too.

The customer requires the following dial plan: within each site, dial xxxx(4-digit); between sites, dial area code PLUS xxxx(4-digits). Is this possible? How?

If the project only invovles calls between ip phones, then it seems I can use Gatekeeper setting in Call Managers to do this(allow anonymous device, significant digits). But with the pbx & PSTN, I'm not sure if this still works, as I think IOS gateways don't act the same as the anonymous device(intercluster trunk protocol) allowing significant digits.

Thanks for your help in advance.

6 Replies 6

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

This is quite straight forward using translation patterns.

In a partition place a translation pattern for each of the other sites of yyyy.xxxx where the yyyy is the area code. delete pre-dot and prefix with 901zzzzzzxxxx where the 91zzzzzzz equals the numbers needed to create the full DDI for the destination extension.

Now place the partition you created into the search space of the extensions on site.

when an extension dials a local extension it will be found in its own partition. When they dial the areacode(extension) it will be found in the new partition. the transformed number will the follow the route patterns you have created to dial out of the gateway.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. But it seems your answer doesn't address my concern, maybe because I didn't phrase clearly.

I think In distributed model, the transformed number will be sent to the Gatekeeper, and then to the remote Call Manager. But when the remote Call Manager receives the number, it cannot change it back to xxxx. Thus when the number is not xxxx, the remote-end Call Manager would not know that the number is a local one under its control.

Have you already considered the above?

You siad your using gatekeeper what about intercluster trunks between sites ?

It is a distributed model ?I know when using locations number tranforms work

My thoughts would be that gatekeeper is providing Call admission controll allowing calls over the wan and stopping them when oversubscribed .

How do you do toll bypass if you cant strip digits.

point your patterns at the appropriate gateway and strip digits there.

Tranformation are sometimes better of made on the gateway especially if you want

to see the full number in CDR for pstn calls this is useing MGCP otherwise num-exp for h.323 gateways CM version 3.13 a spd

You say the receiving call manager can't convert the number back again. Why?

There is no reason why you could not set up a partition and translation pattern structure like I suggested to delete the incoming area code and be left with just the extension number. Using the gatekeeper to administer the Bandwidth is a good idea but it should not stop you routing calls the way you want.

translation pattern of yyyy.xxxx (where yyyy is the area code) in partition node_numbers_p and search space of local_site_SS translates to xxxx which is in the local partition. The local partition is in the local_site_SS search space

Gateway (intercluster trunk) has a search space which can only access the node_numbers_p partition (or more partitions if you want to do break out).

Paul

I'll try to use translation patterns as you said to see if this works and should be able to tell the result early next week. Thanks a lot.

I don't see why I must use partitions or calling search spaces as I don't set any calling restrictions.

I get my perception about this from Cisco documentation(I don't remember where, but it should be design guide.) I'm sure about this as I read about this again and again from the docu.

If you are not using any partition / search spaces in the rest of your config then you don't need them in my scenario, I just assumed you would be. They do make the system more flexible.

By putting the translation patterns into a seperate partition you guarantee there are no number collisions or any other mis-match that could prevent your solution working.

Paul