cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do 7910s really run at 10Mbps half-duplex?

While tracking down a problem which seems to be unique to 7910s, I noticed that all our 7910s autonegotiate 10/half with the 3524s; 7940s and 60s run at 100/full. The 7910 Data Sheet doesn't mention anything about this; are these really half-duplex devices, or can I force 100Mbps/full on the switch?

7 Replies 7

msmith
Level 1
Level 1

michael: yes you are correct they are 10/half. so there are issues with ports on switches and hubs.... marc

We don't have those issues, but another transient bug we're trying to trap. I didn't want to confuse the test/trap we've set up, so haven't tried to force the phone to 100/full (or even 10/full), but according to the docs

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080080666.html) you _ can_ set it to 100FULL:

Cisco IP Phone 7910

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Press the Settings button.

Step 2 Press 6 to select Network Configuration.

Step 3 Scroll (using the volume up/down keys) to SW Port Configuration.

Step 4 Press * to enter edit mode.

Step 5 Press the volume down button to scroll down through options.

Options are AUTO, 10HALF, 10FULL, 100HALF, and 100FULL.

Step 6 Select an option, then press the volume up button to exit this menu.

Step 7 Press # to save this change.

...however, this wouldn't be the first time the docs have been wrong. I'll try it with another phone and post the results here. (It's a long walk through cold rain today to get another phone, so maybe tomorrow.)

On the _other_ other hand, the label on the phone says "10MBSwitch".

rowind
Level 1
Level 1

7910 is only 10 Mb/half. On the 7910+SW (with pc-port) you can change the speed hd/fd.

Rob

I suspected that; thanks. I guess it's no big deal -- in a very early test of VoIP, we ran a 7960 at 10/half on a 24-port 10MB hub shared with 23 active PCs, then via a private FR WAN link to the Internet with no QOS to a remote site. Consensus was the phone sounded like a bad cellphone, but it was usable.

msmith
Level 1
Level 1

Michael: see the following article:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/tlhw/prodlit/7910_ds.htm

Depending on the model 7910G and 7910G+SW you either get a 1 port 10T for the phone or a 2 port 10T for phone and a 100T to plug your computer into and run it thru the phone. The 7910 is still only a 10basedT phone.

thanks marc

Thanks, Marc... that certainly isn't obvious from reading the article (or any other Cisco documentation, for that matter), but it's good to know. We've got one lab running off a 100Mbs switch (not a 10/100 switch), and if we had elected to install a 7910 there, we might have run into problems. Do you know what forwarding method the switch in the 7910+SW uses? I wonder if that phone would work on a 100Mbs (only) link.

For anyone interested... the problem I referred to in my initial post was that several of our 7910s would show up as Not Registered, wwith their displays blank, after a random period of normal operation.

It turns out that when the 3524-PWR-XL goes through a power off/on cycle lasting more than a few seconds, any 7910s attached to and powered by the 3524 will not power up properly unless the switchport is explicitly configured as 10/Half. The phone can only be brought up by unplugging/replugging it, or remotely via a shut/no shut sequence.

Now the question arises: Since a 10Mbps switchport is nontrunking, how do I configure things to ensure proper COS for a 7910? I'm rapidly deciding the 7910 is a sorry excuse for an IP phone.