cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling SNMP on Cisco Manager

fstamand
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any pointers on how to enable SNMP on a Cisco Manager 4.0? I did the basics such as installing the windows SNMP service, trap service and pointed to the network monitoring system. Is there any settings to include in the routers ?

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You might want to enable snmp on the routers, if you want to monitor them too (voice gateways)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Is setting up SNMP on the routers required for Call Manager to send out traps?

I followed the installation guidelines from cisco and still won't receive traps from call manager. I see the cold start traps which indicates a good connection.

Any tips appreciated

mcotrone
Level 3
Level 3

After installing many ITEM and ER implementations this is what I do. (Assuming your read-only community is "READ" and read-write is "WRITE" for example)

1. Control panel --> Services --> SNMP Service then click on properties

2. Click on Security tab First --> Add your "Read-Only"(READ) and or "Read-Write" Communities

This will allow SNMP Stations to poll your CCM as long as the Communities Match. If you would like your CCM to send Traps to NMS Stations then:

3. Click on Traps Tab --> Manually Enter the Community name and then click "Add to List" and then you must add your TRAP Destination below and click on add.

4. You must restart your SNMP Services and SNMP Trap Service (and all dependencies)

If it is not working bust out etherreal to see what is happening. Perhaps your NMS Station is not working properly.

How are you planning on using SNMP here? Do you have ITEM or an NMS Trap Station that polls devices? If so then configure your routers to support your communities.

snmp-server community READ RO

snmp-server community WRITE RW

snmp-server enable traps

snmp-server host

snmp-server host

HTH,

Mike

shimebaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to monitor the MGCP status of a PRI gateway using SNMP. Is the gateway registered or unregistered?

My limited understanding is that you need to implement the CISCO-CCM-MIB which is not included by default on the CCM. Anyone know where instructions are for implementing this MIB?

fstamand
Level 1
Level 1

That's exactly how I did it. The NMS program I have can poll the CCMs using SNMP polls. I also see cold starts when I start / stop the SNMP service.

However I'm not seeing any traps from the Call Manager (beside cold starts)

Under which condition would Call manager send a trap error? I tried stopping the Call Manager service (no errors). I also tried unhooking Cisco phones (no errors).