cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Export/Import option from ESXI to another ESXI for CUCM CMS CUC

Meddane
VIP
VIP

I am planning to migrate collaboration VM including CUCM CMS CUC and Expressway for customer from existing ESXI to another ESXI installed in another server. 

Can we use the export / import option in vmware vCenter for this migration?

Is it supported by cisco and is there any licensing issues?

39 Replies 39

I got it. What about licensing? how to manage it once the installation is completed?

As you restore the system from backup you’ll not need to do anything for licenses.

Response Signature

While you can run the restore job from either Pub or Sub, I prefer the Pub. 

Sorry, delete/re-add is recommended only in the first method (restore one node at a time as your had originally planned). When you restore the Pub, it restores all server entries under System > Server. I always delete/re-add the entry for a node that I want to rebuild or migrate with the same host name/IP because I have ran into replication issues before without completing this step.

Regarding the second method of restoring all three nodes at once, I made a typing error in step 3. Delete/re-add does not apply to this method because you build a new Pub which has no server entries. Next, you add the entries for the Sub and IMP to the Pub, and then install Sub and IMP. Once they are installed, then you restore all three nodes using the Pub GUI. No need to delete/re-add anything. By the way, if there are additional Subs that are not part of the migration, they will be automatically added in the server list during the restore. A cluster reboot starting from the Pub, will be all you need to get database replication to work. Sorry for the confusion and I will edit my earlier notes. 

Thanks for the clarification. Your point "By the way, if there are additional Subs that are not part of the migration, they will be automatically added in the server list during the restore" is interesting.

By the way, I published another post for CMS migration in another conversation called

Migrate CMS Nodes to new ESXI Server and I wrote a procedure after indepth exploration in many resources and based on my modest experience of CMS deployment. I would be grateful if you give us your feedback, suggestions.

I never worked with CMS, so I have not had a need to look at how this works.

Response Signature

Upgrade or migrate CMS is much simpler than CUCM and less time consuming.

To simplify and provide people who read this post a summary, the procedure is:

1-Backup the DRS on the old publisher, including the subscribers CUCM and IMP, shutdown the three nodes.

2-Install a new publisher with the same network settings and security password in the new ESXI server. Restore the DRS Backup on the new publisher.

3-Add the new subscriber and IMP to the new publisher Under System > Server. For IMP (uncheck the High Availability box).

4-Install the new Subscriber CUCM and IMP with same network settings on the new ESXI Server.

5-Reboot the new publisher and the subscribers.

I see that what I have tried to get across has not succeeded. This is the process that I would suggest.

1-Backup the DRS on the old publisher, including the subscribers CUCM and IMP, shutdown the three nodes.

2-Install a new publisher with the same network settings and security password in the new ESXI server. Restore the DRS Backup on the new publisher.

3-Install the new Subscriber CUCM and IMP with same network settings on the new ESXI Server. Restore the DRS backup on all the new subscribers, including the IMP nodes.

4-Reboot the new publisher and the subscribers.

Response Signature

Zoefoliage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Meddane,  

For your question, here is a more detailed way on how to move VM from One ESXi Host. Kindly you could choose whether move from one ESXi host to another with vMotion or not. 

FYI: https://www.vinchin.com/en/blog/move-vm-from-one-esxi-host-to-another.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: