cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GK and DGK usage w/CallMgr

platkeet
Level 1
Level 1

Folks, I'm trying to puzzle out what I can do in an IPCC design to "get around" the one-GateKeeper-per-Call-Manager-cluster rule.

Specifically, if the standard design model uses the PSTN as a backup if a GK rejects a connect message from the CM, and the standard backup is the PSTN, it seems logical that I could use a DGK to reroute to another GK elsewhere in the network if I have alternate paths to the same site.

Further, from a semantic point of view, it's inconceivable to me that the GK (eithe directly or via the GKTMP SDK and API) will only provide an RAI message that only states "bandwidth almost gone"...instead of the actual bandwith currently running through the GK. I should be able to include this bandwidth usage in my ICM routing decisions, so that I can avoid a site that is out of "trunk" space.

I should be able to redirect within the WAN to another GK (or use that GK as a conduit to a DGK) and I should also be able to determine how much of the GK's bandwidth is currently in use...whether through the GKTMP NIC to ICM, or some other "back door" method (SNMP messages/MIB traps?)

Any thoughts from the group? I'm having a terrible time (from an engineering standpoint) explaining to clients that the GK is a single point of failure, and that the only alternative backup route is via PSTN. The client basically has to provision connectivity twice between their sites--data and voice.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

1 Reply 1

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you, or there is no public information available at this time. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online http://www.cisco.com/go/solutions. You may also contact our product information line at 1-800-553-NETS or a Cisco Systems Engineer at your local Cisco office or reseller. To locate your local Cisco representative, visit http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/687/Directory.shtml

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.