Views
Helpful
Replies

IP-cameras to DMM+SnS

Petr Nagernyuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have IP-cameras connected on one vlan with DMM and SnS appliances. What settings should I do to receive video stream from IP-cameras on DMM appliance?

P.S. I have no MXE appliance, and I have no digital encoders

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Petr,

There is no simple way to do what you are asking unless the IP Camera itself streams it's video via MPEG2 TS on the newtork via multicast.  My guess that it does not have this option.  Therefore if you would like to display IP Camera feed on Digital Media Players (NOT SNS), you will need a codec or a 3rd party application to FETCH the stream from the camera and then transcode & multicast the feed to the newtork.  At this time the DMPs can display the feed from the camera.

VLC is a good 3rd party application that can be used to do this.

The basic steps in theory are:

1. Configure VLC to fetch the stream parameters on the IP Camera

2. Transcode that stream to MPEG TS and then stream it to a Mulitcast Address:port#

3. Either add this stream as a media object in DMM to send to DMPS or use the DMP web admin GUI to point the DMP to the media URL

As long as multicast is routed on the network or all devices are on the same network this should work.

Note:  This is not a valid solution for production use.  This is just a technical reference that can be used to test scenarios. The appropriate solution is to have cameras plugged into codecs or managed by a system that can send out multicast feeds.  I would not recommend using freeware or non stable 3rd party applications for a production setup or configuration.

Cheers!

T.

Great  thanks for you Tomas for very detailed answer!

Sorry, but as soon as you answered I prepared more questions.

1. The whole picture of my project is presented in attached file "DMM_VideoLessons_2.0".

1.1 IP-cameras located in the class rooms (training center №1 and №2) are designed for recording the educational process: industrial training lessons, presentations etc.

1.2 Records are feeded to the storage and are published on the video portal. Recorded training lessons are archieved and stored.

1.3 Corporate users receives on-line or off-line remote training lessons using the video portal.

1.4 DMP-devices provides remote training translations for remote user groups and remote classes.

Note that IP-camers and video server (DMM, SnS) are located in the same VLAN (testing scheme).

The question is: What is wrong in the topology below?    

As far as I understand, according to the "multicast stream fteching",  my topology should looks like this ("DMM_VideoLessons_2.0"):

Is it right?

2. Could you be so kind to clarify:

2.1 What should I do to to view video from IP-cameras on corporate users desktops? Special software? Or just using SnS video portal via web-broser?

2.2 It it technically impossible to view video from IP-cameras on DMP and on corporate users desktops simultaneously? If possible what do I need to do?

2.3  What it the problem may be while trying to preview the uploaded video on SnS?  (see the screenshot "SnS_uploaded_video_error").

Appreciate you in advance!