Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones constantly resetting.

gsporton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a customer running CCM 3.3.4 supporting around 300 7960 Phones. For no apparent reason around 30 of these phones have started resetting / rebooting intermitently.

These phones are connected via different switches, and other phones on the same switches do not suffer from the same problem. Some of the failing phones will reset every minute, some only ever 15 to 20 minutes.

Looking at a capture, and the event logs, it appears that the phones first register with the subscriber, then the publisher. Then at varying times the phones send a DHCP release message and reset!

I have created a temporary CallManager group that contains only the publisher server. If I apply this group to the phones experiencing the resets the problem seems to go away. It is almost as if the phones register with the subscriber, loose connectivity with it and try to connect to the publisher. The publisher, knowing that the subscriber is online instructs the phone to connect to the subscriber and the phone gives up and resets.

If anyone has seen a similar behaviour or has any suggestions I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

Kind regards,

Greg.

4 Replies 4

9stucker
Level 1
Level 1

There is similar bug identified using CM 3.3.3.

CSCee10794

When Cisco CallManager publisher fails over to the Cisco CallManager subscriber and then falls back to publisher, some of the phones randomly reset. This happens with Cisco CallManager, Release 3.3(3) SR4a and the Cisco IP Phone 7960.

Workaround: None

shane
Level 1
Level 1

What phone load are you one? I had two cases with two seperate customers experiencing the same issue. I had to wait for the phone load to come out but eventually it released and it fixed my issue.

Try updating to the latest phone load if you have not done so already and see if it helps.

I had this problem about 6 months ago. I went away after I updated the phone load.

b.withrow
Level 1
Level 1

We had that problem a week ago and it turned out to be an invalid URL in the IDLE SCREEN setting. After the alloted amount of time would pass the phone would try to contact the URL that was incorrect, when it couldn't reach the URL it would reboot. Had us going for a while.