cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPT QoS End Point Management Solution that Monitors Actual Call Quality?

palves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Are there any IPT Management solutions out there that actually manage actual call quality of ongoing calls??

Sensors/probes or call simulators don't count. I know that Operations Manager can't do this either (it just uses probes/simulators).

I have heard there's a solution out there that polls the actual IP Phones (using the IP Phone's built in HTTP server) for the MOS (Mean Score) and other stats such as delay, loss, and jitter (since this information is kept on the phone). But I don't know the name of this product!!

Anyone know of any such products?

thanks,

Paul

2 Replies 2

jneiberger
Level 2
Level 2

I believe that CallManager 4.2 introduces something like this called K-Factor. It somehow lets you get the derived MOS from actual calls. I don't know the details so you'll have to check the 4.2 docs.

What would be really helpful is if Cisco were to implement RTCP-XR on their phones. This would allow you to directly gather call quality metrics from the phones. Perhaps this data could then be loaded into an existing Cisco application like Service Monitor. I would LOVE that, but we'll see if Cisco ever implements RTCP-XR.

Keep your fingers crossed!

John

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Paul,

Variphy makes an IPT management tool that will pull CMR records and you can even set thresholds for jitter, delay etc and flag those calls that cross the threshold. Check out Variphy Insight @ http://www.variphy.com

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus