cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IVC - blind addressing

ROB THORNTON
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2) Unity servers connected to seperate Exchange servers (no connectors, replication or anything....just SMTP). I wan't users w/ VM msgs on one Exchange server to be able to forward VM to users on the other Exchange server and have the message class remain intact (Just from Outlook...not from the TUI). I don't want to 'network' the two Unity boxes but it appears that in order to have the IVC work, the locations and domains have to be created on both Unity servers.....Is that correct? How much of the 'Networking' features need to be setup / licensed in order to use the IVC the way I'm attempting to?

Curve ball......Unity 4.0.1 and Unity 2.4.6

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check out the SMTP networking chapter in the 4.0 docs here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008011a58f.html

It covers the addressing scenarios - it'll be about the same for 2.4.6 more or less - setup a delivery location to "point" at the other Unity server then users dial the ID of the location followed by the Id of the subscriber at that location (i.e. on the other box) and off it goes. It'll do the (location id)_(user id)@xxx addressing for you.

4.0 has search scope options and the like which 2.4.6 does not but the fundamental concept is the same here.

What I've found is that the user experience from Outlook will be that any VM they wish to send outside of their org will need to be addressed as [voice:%dialing-domain%_%users-extension@domain]. Otherwise the IMC processes the mail and strips her. The IVC doesn't see the message class of the mail and grab it before the IMC does. Is that correct?

I can see how Unity can package VM's and ship them off real easilly that way but I can't imagine how you would train a user to type that out everytime (you know end users). They search the GAL or type the normal alias and click send. That will probably be the piece that won't let me use it.

Thanks Jeff !