cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Messages into VM Box coming in very late

tbrokaw
Level 1
Level 1

Version: 2.4.161 w/ Exchange 5.5 CM Ver:3.2.1(A)

I have a couple of users who are complaining that someone will leave them a VM at say 1:00pm and the message will have that timestamp on it, but sometimes the user won't receive the message until the next day or so. I initially contacted TAC, and they said it was an Exchange problem. I have checked everything on Exchange, logs, connectors, queues, stores, everything! It is still happening. Can one of the Guru's help me out?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, TAC is very likely correct here - this is almost certainly an Exchange issue with messages not being pushed to their proper home store in a timely fashion.

In 2.x ALL messages (sub to sub or outside callers) are delivered in much the same way (i.e. there was no UMR queue in 2.x as there is in 3.x and later) - Unity creates the message in the mailbox of the sender addressed to the recipient. In the case of outside callers it's left in the "Unity Messaging System" mailbox created by setup.

At that point it's up to Exchange to deliver the message to the appropriate home store of the recipient via the MTA just as if you'd have logged into Outlook and left the message - Unity, in fact, uses some of the same connectivity mechanisms that Outlook clients do.

I'm guessing this is outside callers and that that Unity Messaging System account is the only account on the local Unity server - all other users are "off box". I'm further guessing that there's likely an MTA/RPC issue at play between the Unity server's Exchange and the external exchange servers - this is often a DNS issue. Check the event logs on the local Unity server and see if you find any RPC bind or bind-back errors, this is a common source of such a "delayed message delivery" problem report.

Short story, there isn't anything Unity 2.x could be doing on it's own to cause such delays - we don't hang on to messages and push them ourselves, they're created directly in Exchange and left for it to handle the delivery - if a message is eventually getting to where it's going it's a near certainty that it's an Exchange MTA related issue of some sort.

sallwine
Level 1
Level 1

You might also turn on message tracking and see if that will help you determine where the delay is coming into play.

rich.wright
Level 1
Level 1

I have had the same problem and it went away after running the exchange optimizer. I also had a customer call and complain of this issue. I told him the optimizer fixed it for me and it also fixed the problem for him.

Thanks Rich I will give that a try.