Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking Unity Servers

astectelecom
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 3.15 Stand alone voice mail TSP 6.02B Exchange 5.5

My customer wants to network 4 Unity servers to enable messages to be sent to distribution groups containing users on the 4 different Unity servers.

In a test environment we have sucessfully networked 2 Unity servers with the above configuration using SMTP networking. we can now send voice messages that retain their voice characteristics betwen the two servers using either blind addressing or internet subscribers and set up groups etc.

When we set this up on a live system we will have 4 unity servers - all standalone - with around 1000 users on each server. this is going to make administration a total nightmare.

I need to find a better way of networking the unity servers.

If I reconfigure the unity servers into one exchange organization can I use Digital Networking to enable me to access users on the other networked Unity servers without the need for blind addressing or creating internet subscribers on each server?

or if not is there any other way?

thanks

jim

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the Unity servers are all in the same org then yes, they'll "see" each other in the directory and users can address by name and/or ID to other users on the other Unity servers in the directory - this is the whole idea behind digital networking. The SMTP/Internet subscriber route is only there as a mechanism for sites that can't have their Unity servers in the same directory for whatever reason. If that's an option for you, it's definitely the better route.

If you haven't checked out the updated networking documentation, you can get it here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/net/net313gg/index.htm

The "digital networking" chapter is the guy you'll be interested in looking at. It covers some addressing scenarios that will do what you want here I think.