cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"forward no answer" feature.

aattravi
Level 1
Level 1

in a CCM3.3.3 can i discriminate the internal or external incoming calls, on cisco ip phone?

i would like to activate a "forward no answer" function only on the external incoming calls.

thanks

4 Replies 4

Anita Dulude
Level 1
Level 1

You can't distinguish between internal and external calls for call forwarding using just CallManager. I believe if you use Personal Assistant - you can set up rules that may allow you do to that - but I have never tried.

c-charlebois
Level 3
Level 3

Just as a router forwards packets only on the destination, without regard to the source, the phone forwards calls based on the destination and cannot forward to a different number based on source.

Personal Assistant gets around this by intercepting the call before it reaches the phone itself. Then Personal Assistant rings the phone while holding the incoming call. In the case of a no answer, Personal Assistant uses internal logic to determine the next course of action.

One possible work-around would be to use seperate line appearances for internal and external calls. This would allow you to set up different CFNA rules for each case.

How do you setup separate line appearances?

First step is to create 2 seperate partitions. In this case, I would name one Internal and one External-Incoming. Then, when setting up the phone, configure line 1 with extension 1234 in the Internal partition, and setup line 2 with extension 1234 in the External-Incoming partition.

The next step is the important one. Create 2 calling search spaces; Internal-css and External-incoming-css. In Internal-css, add the Internal partiton and the External-outgoing partition (which would include any outbound route patterns). In the External-incoming-css, add the External-incoming partition. Setup all phones with a calling search space of Internal-css and setup all gateways with a calling search space of External-incoming-css.

What this will do is route internal calls to the first line appearance and route external inbound calls to the second line appearance. Thereby allowing you to specify different CFNA destinations.

Of course, this doesn't take into account LD restrictions, or voice mail, or half a dozen other features, but all of those can be accomadated in one way or another in the above scenario.