cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting limits to subscribers in exchange 2000

ufortune
Level 1
Level 1

I am running exchange 2000. Currently there is no limit set for send and receive messages size. I want to limit the size for all subscribers. Could someone tell me what is the recommended size to set. globally. And what is the recommended set size for a user, in case the president doesn't wants more space. There are approx. 700 users. Unity 3.1 with 3.1(4) build. After this size is set, do I need to stop and restart any services?

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We can't really answer "how big should our mailboxes be" for you... this depends on the site and how they use email/voice mail - there's no one right answer here.

Here's a link on the Microsoft site about how to setup mailstore limits in Exchange 2000 that should help you out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q319583&

what happens when Unity encounters a mailbox that is full, or that has reached a threshold that prevents the Store from receiving another file? Does it play a message stating that you may not leave a message? Does it simply cut out?

In 3.1(5) there is an option for us to check the target mailbox being full (level 2 full - not recieving messages) and we'll tell the outside caller trying to leave a message that the mailbox is full and we can't take their message now. The reason the check is optional for outside callers is because trucking across the network and checking the current mailbox status across the network can result in a small delay - some sites may find that unacceptable.

For sub to sub messages, however, the message is always send and then will NDR back to the sender (i.e. like if you send a message using Outlook).

for earlier versions of Unity, outside caller messages that can't be delivered for whatever reason (including full mailboxes) end up getting delivered to the Unaddressed Messages public distribution list created by Unity setup. You should have at least one admin type that gets these messages and make sure they end up in the right place.

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I wrote a doc that covers the technical side of all this all works:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/e2kstore.htm

Keith

How do limits work in E55 with regards to Unity V3.1.3?

It's basically the same. Unity monitors the Exchange directory rather than the DC/GC and writes the changes to SQL. From there it all works the same.

Keith