cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMB Solution with CMC/CUE Design Help Anyone?

kdasari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I am an experienced network engineer on the data side but has very little experience on the voice side. I am trying to help a friend who is setting up a small business (financial services company- as such phone intensive) with a data and voice services.

He needs intially 14 phones, voice mail and internet connectivity to 14 workstations. He will have business class DSL (1.5M SDSL) with static IPs. Needs VPN services for his workers to romte access into the office. Will also have T1 Pri with DIDs.

Given this I am going to prpose 2821 and a 3500 swith inline power and 7940 phones? Would PRI Wic will do or should go for NM-HDV? Since this router has one slot, NM-CUE is out question if we use NM-HDV.

The router will also act as VPN Concentrator, Firewall and the internet router.

Can he use for example Voange service terminating on the router outgoing long distance calls?

These are just my intial thoughts. Please comment. Rip me apart if necessary, please provide some avenues for me to do research.

If you think it is futuile for to think about doing it because I am too green for this sort thing, please let me know.

I have about couple months to come up with a solid and reliable solution.

Thanks for your hlep.

SKD

1 Reply 1

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For starters, I'm not in sales, but...

you might want to start with something like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/netsol/ns339/ns395/ns359/ns331/networking_solutions_package.html

Depending on how many users this is supposed to support, you may be able to use the AIM-CUE, instead of the NM.

I don't think Vonage would terminate directly to the router (you'd have to ask them), but if they have a phone adapter that basically has some FXS ports, you could get FXO ports on the router and use that to get inbound/outbound calling (i.e. the only thing coming into the site would be data; the adapter would terminate the call and it would come out voice via its FXS ports which would be fed back into the router via FXO ports). The only disadvantage with that option is they wouldn't get caller ID.

Since the above would just involve a data circuit to the internet, you could get away with just a WIC card for data, otherwise, if the voice had to be termintated on the router, you'd need an HDV card or something with DSPs on it.

You might want to ping your local cisco account team, too. I'm sure they've got some canned solutions for this.