cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Soft Phone works in only one direction

smebbin
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use soft phones internally and via VPN. When I use the soft phone via VPN I can hear the end user (VoIP phone) but they can't hear me. When I use the soft phone internally, I can hear them (internal LAN) but they can't hear me. It isn't my headset because I have attempted to use various ones. I am wondering if there is a Call Manager config for this? I am currently using CMVersion 3.1.

regards,

Brandon

5 Replies 5

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

Over the VPN you need to choose the VPN address you are receiving from the server. You may also need to choose the proper NIC if you have more than one on your system. All of this is in settings of the Softphone. You may want to get the IP Comm it does all of this automatically for you.

Geoff

Thx Geoff. I will follow your suggestions and let the forum know.

Regards,

Brandon

Geoff,

Apprently the Senior Network Engineer stated we are doing everything you suggested. Here are more detailed symptoms.

Disregarding the original post about the VPN (I want to resolve the internal issues first..

When using the ip softphone on our network, we can call other hard ip phones with no problems.

When we use our hard ip phones top call pstn phones we have no problems.

3. when we use our softphones to call pstn we hear ringback, and the end user answers (hello?) but they cannot hear us.

Any ideas?

Heres a few bug IDs on soft phones. You may have already seen these, but if not here they are.

CSCdv78107

One way audio on SoftPhone

CSCdz79984

AUDIO: One-way audio occurs when a JTAPI client is used to est calls

CSCdx30696

One way voice using softphone with VPN client

Daniel

Brandon,

First and foremost, make sure that you have given the user a softphone profile (use their hostname if you hope to resolve VPN issues later), and that the user has device control of the CTI Port that you set up for the Softphone.

Also check that the PCs have audio duplex cards (very few don't, but you need to check this).

I suggest setting up your softphones to auto install from the web to get everything they need, and the right TSP version.

This will help you down the line...edit "getip.asp" to reflect your company's addressing scheme (it is pretty basic, but you may need to change it if you want them to work over a IPSec VPN that is non Cisco (note they won't ever work over SSLvpn))

In the actual softphone, make sure that under Network Audio Settings, you are using the first option of obtain IP address automatically and that the path is correct and that this is accessible to any softphone users. (a virtual directory will suffice, but test it first).

Another thing that will throw them off is incorrect passwords. My suggestion, if you have someone who just can't get audio is to reset in CallManager Users, Reset in ciscotsp001 file (in phone and modem options) and finally reset it in the softphone. This is a last resort though since it is a manual process.

Hope it helps, and good luck! They are great once they are rolling smoothly!

January