Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoding Question

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have a central site running Callmanager 3.3 cluster and a remote site of about 20 phones running of the same cluster.

I want to setup transcoding and have configured a VG200 with an NM-HDV which is all setup and working fine and configured within callmanager.

However how do i config Callmanager.I have some devices at the central site that have to talk G711 so what i would like to achieve is when a call is placed from the remote site it is g729 and then converted to g711 at the central site on its way to the g711 only device.

I think i missing something obvious here any ideas?

Mark

2 Replies 2

amansharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Mark

Its not very clear from your problem decription what you want to do ,in case you want that your central site talk to the remote side using g729 ,u can setup regions to do that rather using transcoding ,Trancoding is being used when u have device which speaks in a codec which the other device does not support ,for example a software confrence bridge ,if u want a device which speaks only g729 to join a confrence which is being hosted on software confrence bridge then a transcoder would get invoked because the software confrence bridge only supports g711.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/vvfax_c/callc_c/ccm_c/intcnf2.htm

vmalhi
Level 1
Level 1

u don't need transcoding in this instance.

main site phones are in region g711. what this means is that you can use g711 OR g729

site phones are in region g729. what this means is that you can use g729 but NOT g711.

g729 will be negotiated codec.

If main site phones or devices did NOT support g729 (e.g. IVR/AA) then transcoder at main site would be required. You don't have to explicitly tell ccm to use xcoder, it will automatically attempt to use xcoder if there is no common codec allowed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: