cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding IPCC, Call Manager

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a cisco Voice implementation that I am trying to understand the components.

We have two IPCC servers, one that handles calls from outside and these calls are directed to the internal users in our company.

The other IPCC server handles calls from outside callers to our Voice IVR system.

I have some general questions about IPCC:

What exactly does IPCC do?

Does Call manager just handle call routing on a very basic level?

I know there are scripts created and the IPCC server houses these scripts.

How does Call Manager fit into the inbound call routing from outside callers?

Does Call Manager direct the calls to the different IPCC servers depending on what the user is looking to do?

3 Replies 3

philstephenson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we too have a callmanager and IPCC environment, albeit with a single IPCC. To understand the roles played by each of the components it is a good thing to understand the flow of a call from end to end.

When a caller calls in, the IPCC initially has no visibility of it. The gateway on which the call arrives signals the callmanager subscriber and it's database is referenced. Generally a translation is configured on the callmanager which picks up on the number dialled by the caller (aka DNIS). This is translated to another number (Trigger) which has been configured as associated with a CTI route point. The IPCC has applications, each of which runs a script, and these applications each have one or more of the trigger numbers mentioned in the previous sentence. When the callmanager receives a call that is translated to a trigger number (CTI route point) the call is handed to the IPCC and the script is run. This all happens very quickly, and what the caller hears depends upon what is written in the script.

So, in summary and to answer your questions,

The IPCC provides script based interactivity for calls handled by the callmanager.

The callmanager is responsible for the taking and translation of the call, and any transfers etc.

The scripts can be very simple or very complex and can provide such things as IVR, voice recognition(in tandem with other servers), email and http interaction.

The callmanager directs the calls based on which IPCC is configured with an application bearing the trigger number

in essence the IPCC is a bolt-on for the callmanager, as all call processing is done by the callmanager and the IPCC deals with script based interaction with the caller if called upon to do so. Not all calls handled by a callmangager need involve ipcc

IPCC cannot function standalone, as good as it may be.

I hope this helps, it certainly did when i was trying to get a handle on it.

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation.

I am getting a better handle on thigs as I get replys to my questions.

Many thanks

joshua izzi
Level 1
Level 1

philstephenson excellent response! This summed up many many confusing documents I have read that convoluted the basics with too many details!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: