cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging upgrade from 3.0 to 4.03

hwilms
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any gotcha's I need to be aware of when I upgrade my customers 3.0 Unified messaging server to 4.03. They will converting their exchange 2000 environment to a cluster before I upgrade Unity.

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The only gotcha is if 3.0 is expected to work with the cluster for a period of time. Our old security model didn't handle clusters natively because of the limitations with the local system security context. With 4.X clusters work just like non-clustered Exchange servers because we always use a domain level account.

Is the clustered server going to be the partner Exchange server? The partner Exchange server is the one that hosts the Unity_ mailbox.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

I believe they will be installing the cluster sometime soon, so it will be about 3 weeks that 3.0 will run in a cluster environment. I don't have any experience with exchange clustering so its hard for me to answer you second part of the question. Since 3.0 is already running (UM) I would suspect the the new server would be the clustered server,not sure though.

OK you will need to do this--

Start Active Directory Users and Computers and browse to either the Users container or to the OU where the Unity_ account is created. Reset the password for the Unity_ account and set it to never expire.

Using Active Directory Users and Computers, add the Unity_ account to the Exchange Domain Servers group.

Add the Unity_ account to the Local Administrators group on the Cisco Unity server.

Grant the Unity_ account 'Log

on as a batch job', 'Log on as a service' and 'Act a part of the operation system' rights.

From the Cisco Unity server, use the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) to configure the following Cisco Unity services to log on by using the Unity_ account:

AvCsGateway

AvCsMgr

AvGaenSvr

AvUMRSynchSvr

Restart Cisco Unity.

I would probably do this before they upgrade so that you can revert if things don't work. That way you don't have to worry about it afterwards.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Keith,

Would it be better to upgrade unity to 4.03 first then have the customer ugrade their exchange to a cluster afterwards.

Thanks

Either way will work but I would probably upgrade to 4.0(3) first if I was pressed to choose.