Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Conflict

Hello Folks,

We have a Unity 4.0 with an old server. I am building a brand new 4.2 from scratch. IF I don't make any mistake, Unity needs to be connected to the network in order to communicate with Active Directory. I need to use the same name and IP Address as the old one. The issue is that there's a Unity server in production and if I plug the new server with the same name and IP Address, there will definitelly be a conflict. Could you please let me know how can I work around the issue. Please note that the production Unity can not be unpluged until the new Unity is ready to be pluged.

Thanks,

8 Replies 8

Could someone reply to this posting please?

Thanks,

You would need to change the IP and name of the server to something different then change the IP address after you unplug the old server.

Thanks for the replay.

If I change the IP address and the Name of the server, I won't have any problem to change them back againe. Does Unity support name change? Won't I have any problem with Active Directory and the Object ID's?

Thanks againe,

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this Voicemail only or UM?

It's a Unified Messageing.

Thanks,

Could some please resond to this posting?

Thanks,

This will never work as you want, since you won't be able to have both servers running at the same time, if you install the new server with a different name and a differetn IP you will need to reinstall it while changing this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080623595.html

Your best shot is to name them exactly the same then unplugged the old one and pluggin the new one. I understand that you do not want to do this but you have no other choice.

Because you are using UM, it may be possible to reuse the server name. If you were doing this with VMonly with Exchange on the same box, probably not.

You would need to test this in a lab, but this is a long shot:

Back up your existing Unity server with DIRT

Upgrade your existing Unity server to 4.2

Backup the Unity server with DIRT

Disconnect this server from your domain. (last chance for anything on this server)

Remove this server from the domain and delete all instances from AD of this server. If this was a DC, this could be tricky even more. It it was a member server (should have been) no biggy.

Depending on your Domain size in Production, it could take the servers and DNS to catch up and replicate. You will also probably need to contact to TAC to identify which AD attributes may need to be updated. (this is probably why you don't want to do this and just rename the server to a new name)

Install new Server as memeber server and install Unity to match upgraded version)

Check all DNS that your "new" Unity server can comunicate with Exchange and AD DC correctly.

Restore data and cross your fingers.

I would highly recommend though you go for a new name and IP address. We typically name servers so they can be upgraded later with similar names:

unity01P (Primary)

unity01F (Failover)

Unity02P (new primary)

Unity02F (new failover)

Etc... anything works.... But if you look at ANY microsoft docuement about what you are trying to do, they typically recommend for server names, databases, SIDs in AD, etc... just create a new name.