Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity opening greeting won't play

bphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Unity 3.1.5, Exchange 2000

I checked the Opening Greeting call handler and it was grayed out. I couldn't reenable it. Is there anything short of deleting the Opening Greeting and recreating it that might fix this? I don't see anything obvious in the event log during the time I get the Opening greeting error.

Something happened last weekend -- Unity hung and was reset. After it was reset the time changed to July 2001 (That could be a problem!?). After I changed the time back there was still no change. Also, before the server crashed a well-meaning person installed Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. They checked the Opening Greeting after installing and everything worked fine. Before they installed this app, they also disabled the IUSR_UNITY, IWAM_UNITY, and the example subscriber and example administrator accounts. I reenabled them today, but to no effect.

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure what you mean by the opening greeting call handler is "grayed out"... do you mean the media master control is disabled for the greetings? All of them?

Can you run the latest version of dbWalker (you can get it from www.CiscoUnityTools.com) and see if it barks about missing streampaths for the opening greeting? This would mean the greetings referenced in SQL point to files that no longer exist in that location - the media master control doesn't deal with that well and you have to clean that up on the back end (dbWalker will do this for you if necessary).

If that's not what you mean, can you explain how the call handler is disabled?

Yes, you're correct, I meant the media master control is disabled on the Opening Greeting call handler. Strangely, after I checked the other greetings (Alternate, closed, busy, etc) and I returned to Open, it was no longer grayed out, even though the first time the "recording" radio button had been selected. I can't check the recording yet...

When I dbwalker this is the only error I got.

Alias=ESubscriber

Display Name=Example Subscriber - UNITY

1203:(error) The primary call handler for this subscriber has it's AdministratorObjectID value set to point to a different subscriber.

You can fix this in DOHPropTest by copying the ObjectID of the subscriber into the AVP_ADMINISTRATOR_OBJECT_ID value for the primary call handler.

This can also, however, mean a there is a 'cross linked' call handler problem where a single primary call handler is being 'shared' by more than one subscriber.

COS Alias=defaultsubscriber

1353:(warning) the Switch ID for this subscriber is set to NULL. This means it will default to switch 0. You can fix this by selecting a valid switch on the profile page for this subscriber in the SA.

Unrelated note: when I installed dbwalker I got this error that I finally ignored to complete the installation: "an error occured while registering the file 'C:\WINNT\system32\AVCsGateway.exe'". This was the latest version pulled off answermonkey.

And no, the other greetings' media master controllers were not grayed out. But then the Standard greeting's media master controller wasn't grayed out either when I returned to it...

ok, I fixed the install for dbWalker - inadvertently put a dependency file in there I shouldn't have - wont hurt anything but it'll force you to deal with that annoying error dialog. Just posted the updated setup package.

So... if the media master control is not gray any longer are you able to record greeetings now?

I'm able to record the greeting. But when I dial in instead of getting the Opening Greeting I get the same error message saying the opening greeting isn't available.

If I leave the greetings page and return the media master control is grayed out again for the standard greeting... I'll try deleting the standard greeting and recreating it.

I tried to delete the Opening Greeting and that isn't an option... I tried creating a new handler and using that as the opening greeting, but the new handler's media master control for the greeting is also grayed out. In fact, all call handler's and subscriber's media master controls for the greeting are grayed out. What up?

Hmmm.... so this is the same on the local Unity server and off box? I don't suppose the StreamFiles directory has files marked for read only for some reason?

If not, can I get in via WTS to your system to look around?

Just to follow up for folks at home...

This _appears_ to have been related, at least in part, to the date on the Unity server being set back a month before the date the system was installed - this cases some interesting problems because most of the "enabled/disabled" checks in Unity are based on dates. Since the dates were in the past it was assuming some things that should never be disabled were which caused some odd issues such as the standard greeting being disabled which should never be allowed.

I'm having an identical problem. I had created an alternate opening greeting (with it's own extension that was a part of an attendant console hunt). When the hunt goes to the auto attendant, it plays a greeting that was previously recorded. The standard greeting on this handler says it's disabled. When I use media master to play the recorded standard greeting it plays the new one. When I run dbWalker, it says that the standard greeting can't be disabled and it says it fixes it, but when I got into Unity Admin after that, it still shows as disabled. I checked the date per your post, and the date is current and correct.

Any ideas?

Loy