Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of Locations for CAC

i.fouraki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to use locations for CAC.Suppose that I want to restrict to 4 g9729 calls. I have used 96kbps in the definition of the remote site locations. But when I make tests the number of calls that are permitted through the WAN links is different. Some times it permits only 3 calls, some other times 5.This changes if for example I make calls to PSTN using as gateway the remote's site router, and at the same time i make calls to my central site (or another site).In this case it will permit only 2 or 3 calls through the WAN link. Why? All the IP Phones are registered to the same CM. All IP Phones and devices of the remote site have the same location configured.All calls through the WAN link are g729 calls.

Thanks,

Yanna

2 Replies 2

billbaker
Level 1
Level 1

CM allocates 24k for each of your G729 calls. IF this is G729r8 AND you are using RTP header-compression, your calls should consume about 12k per call with a G729 codec. CM CAC reduces your remaining available bandwidth between the remote location and the hub by 24k for each of your 12k calls. Simply configure the location bandwidth to be TWICE what you know you are actually consuming. There is no magic taking place in the CAC feature of CM and it is covered in the context based help for the locations page in the CM Administrator.

Hi,

I do not use RTP header compression because the quality of voice was awful... Anyway I do not understand why once 3 calls are permitted and other times 5 calls are permitted.In this way I cannot find the right value to set for the specified location. Furthermore, today we had another strange thing: the WAN link was down for a while and the ISDN backup was up. As soon as the primary WAN link came up, the remote ip phones could not call (or be Called) and in the display there was the message "no available bandwidth". I removed the location and everything worked fine.But now we do not have CAC...