cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Over LAN-to-LAN VPN

rdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any degree of success with video conferencing over a VPN connection. An example would be a remote office connected via the Internet a T-1 connected through a PIX to PIX VPN connection back to a home office connected to the Internet via a DS3. I am aware of how network latency and hop count degrades video performance, however a point to point line in some cases is just too costly.

2 Replies 2

abellak
Level 1
Level 1

We've run video over several types of vpn. The one setup we are currently using while waiting for lines is a Polycom FX H.323 on a 10/100 switched network, connecting through a PIX-515 (56bit) and a 512K connection to an VPN-3030 on a 6Mbps DS-3, then connecting to another FX. The quality varies dramatically on this setup. Sometimes the quality is as good as I get on my MPLS WAN, sometimes the systems won't even connect. This is an international link, with quite a few hops and occasionally latency problems. We've also used a similar setup with an FX going through a pix/t1 to another pix/tl, which worked fairly well. We originally had two different isp's, and after switching both offices to the same ISP, we noticed significant improvements in video and audio quality. As you can imagine, the overall improvement from being on one backbone helped immensely. The biggest suggestions that I can make are to use the same isp at all your locations, get the biggest pipe you can afford, and time your important calls at times when other network traffic is low (monday mornings are usually good to avoid).

Good luck, and if you further question, don't hesitate to post them.

Andras

k.keyan
Level 1
Level 1

If you have VPN network you can go to microsoft netmeeting for video conferencing, if you want to install VPN allso in your network let me know i'll send document for that .

hitme : karthikhot@hotmail.com