Replies

View Mail for Outlook

bbickerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 3.15

Exchange 5.5

Unified Messaging

There are around 500 users and want to come up with an easy way to provide the View Mail Option. I thought maybe you could publish the View Mail form and have subscribers subscribe to it.

When we try to do this we get this error:

"Could not load some object cause they are not available to me". To me this sounds like an OS error. We are trying to do this with an XP client (OS and Outlook).

They are running anywhere from 95,98, 2000 and XP for OS and diffrent versions of the outlook client

8 Replies 8

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There was one little red flag that jumped out at me, and that was the mention of Win95 OS. Although it may not be related to the problem that's going on, it's not supported...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/cmptblty/clientmx.htm#49528

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "publish the View Mail form and have subscribers subscribe to it."?

sorry.

If this is like a true Outlook form. You should be able to publish the form via and Outlook Client (to your exchange server) and then from a completley diffrent Outlook client go Tools|Forms|Choose a Form| and subscribe to the form.

I don't consider myself an expert on forms. I think I am asking the right questions. I'm just looking for a way to make life easier for the end user, rather than having to go to each desktop and install it.

Gotcha. I'm not an expert on forms either : ) But, I can tell you that won't work. They'll have to run the actual VMO install.

They are NT 4 w/ exchange 5.5. They don't have SMS

I'm sure that some large companies have ran into this before. They probably had SMS, but in this case the company does not.

What we were thinking of doing is having the install process take place on the NT 4 login script. Do you have any flags that can be run so the process can take place in the background???

sarrick
Level 1
Level 1

If you running active directory, you could publish an .msi file to a group poilcy on your domain. If you have any familiarity with this - it is the only way to go with a large install. NT 4 domains would require SMS.

They are NT 4 w/ exchange 5.5. They don't have SMS

I'm sure that some large companies have ran into this before. They probably had SMS, but in this case the company does not.

What we were thinking of doing is having the install process take place on the NT 4 login script. Do you have any flags that can be run so the process can take place in the background???

Actually, you don't "need" SMS to do this, BUT you do need a form of automatic delivery that can run as an administrator (local or domain) to install the software. SMS is one of the better methods, however, we use a login script utility called ScriptLogic that has a "Run as Administrator" feature built in for launching programs as an admin. Works very well. If the users are already local admins of their desktops, then it can be put in the login script without problems.

We just tell ScriptLogic to run "msiexec /i \Viewmail.msi INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Cisco\Viewmail" /qn " as an administrator and VMO is installed without any problems.

In the thread that Lindborg posted, I was one of the contributors and I learned that the ViewMail 4.x client will work backwards to 3.1(5) (at least). The 3.x version of VMO will not install quietly (it prompts for a language) and then would install quietly if you specified the SETUP -B commandline. By using the 4.x version it's totally quiet.

Hope this helps.