Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP at the House (New to VoIP)

matthew.bauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I want to setup a small VoIP solution in my house and I have the slightest idea where to start. I am thinking of Using Vonage as the provider. What sort of equipment would I need on my end to make it happen.

I was looking at an 1801 router so that I could get embedded call manager and unity. I am looking at 5 cisco ip phones one of which will be wireless.

Do I need an 1801 or can I use something smaller like an 800 series. I know linksys provides a router but it appears that it is for analog phones to digital. I want to set something up purley IP based.

Am I going down the wrong track. Don't I need some sort of Gateway to handle the calls?

Thanks

Matt

3 Replies 3

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are going to need two mcs servers for unity and callmanager.

You will need one router (such as 1751 with fxo card)

I don't know of a way to bring in vonage into callmanager. As for the 1801, I don't think you can add ccm or unity.

matthewcody
Level 1
Level 1

This really depends on what you want to do. If all you want is Vonage service in your home, I believe they provide you with a device that will allow you to use standard analog phones.

If you really want an IP Telephony system in your home, you've got a few choices. Its going to be pricey regardless of what you do - consider using CallManager Express. No need to buy MCS servers and software (trust me, the router and the CME software will be expensive enough)!

Let me know if you have additional questions - again, its really based on what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the reply,

It is two fold why I want to try this, one is a learning experience and two, geek factor. :)

I have read that an 1800 series router can handle the embedded versions of CME and Unity. I think this is cisco's solution for remote/branch office sort of thing.

I also need to look into a switch that can handle QoS. Like I said, I have no experience with this.

Thanks

Matt