cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP via VPN from US to Japan?

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone have experience using IPT from the states(Chicago) to Japan (Tokyo) using a VPN. We have 2 Call Managers in Chicago and are opening an office in Tokyo. How stable, reliable, and effective is this solution?

Thanks so much!

13 Replies 13

gordon.hawkins
Level 2
Level 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, VPN still can't do QoS - so that's not good for you! :P

Unless you have a fiber trunk to Japan.. and if so... let's talk! haha.. How many users in Tokyo?

No fiber connection to Japan. I'm not sure on the Qos, I'll have to check (unless someone knows). There will only be around 3-5 users to begin with in Japan, maybe growing to 10-15 in a few years.

I think you shold be able to do QoS with a router at each site. I assume that you are planning on trying to run the VoIP over VPn over the public Internet? One word of advice. If possible try to stick with the same provider for both sites. That will help on keeping delay low

True, we would have a router at each end and would be using the public Internet. Do you know if its possible to have the same vendor in Chicago & Tokyo. Have you used VOIP via VPN? If so what equipment are you using?

Are there case studies done by Cisco to this degree?

Thanks for your response!

I would look at UUNET has the vendor.

Ryan,

I am using UUNet and running VoIP over VPN from across the country back to a central site. I have a 2650 at each location with a 3002 creating and maintaining the tunnel. Works like a charm. Cisco will tell you that VoIP over the Internet is not recommended because of the lack of QoS over the public Internet but if you go with a Tier one provider end to end the benifits outweigh the occasional (very occasional) bit of jitter. UUNet has an SLA that guarantees a level of delay that is well below the Cisco recommendation. I know it is for the continental US and to Japan should not be much more if any. I have a sales contact that will take care of you. You can e-mail me at tdennis@catalysttech.com Here is a link to their SLA. It has some good stats on trans-pacific trafic as well.

http://www.worldcom.com/global/terms/service_level_guarantee/

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

i am also using VOIP over VPN. If anyone says not to do it call them a bunch of sissies!! I have 18 remote locations with 2651xms and they are rocking! The quality is better than Ma Bell can provide! I would recommend trying to stay on the same backbone. I have 2 locations on another provider, and everyonce in a while they get a little jitter, but only when we are doing a RIS or running a backup at night.

Geoff

pmays
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

12.2 introduced the command "qos pre-classify". Here is a link to configuring QoS for VPN:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c75d3.html

There is work being done with Cisco Powered Network providers in the area of voice, video over VPN (V3PN).

If you want to go with a single provider that can provide multiservice VPN you can search for one at:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/cpn/cpn_pub_bassrch.pl

do an Advance Search >check VPN/IP - Multiservice (question 2) > select Japan and Illinios (use ctl key to select both)(question 3) >Submit

It looks like Sprint or Cable&Wireless can provide multiservice vpn in Japan and Illinois.

Without a single carrier and one that can maintain appropriate QoS and SLA for your voice I would say "Your mileage may vary". And it also depends on your expectations and needs.

Hope that helps...

Assuming I have a setup like the following....

Chicago router > Cisco VPN concentrator > Telco INTERNET BACKBONE < Cisco VPN concentrator < Tokyo Router

I would only need a service provider to provide an Internet connection, correct? (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case are their any specific/types of Internet connections/services that I should use?

Thanks for the continued responses!!

That is esactly how I am doing it with fantastic results. Do the QoS and stay ont the same providor end to end.

You know, I might sound totally crazy, but why wouldn't you just use Yahoo BB here in Tokyo? I mean, that way you would not have to buy Cisco anything... And unless you are planning on having tondemonai nagai jikan conversations, you would actually save money... Especially if you will have just a few people in the beginning.

Just a thought...

Vic@Tokyo

Hi

I am doing the same thing between Tokyo and Sydney. But my users are not very happy....There is no other traffice like data or video on the link

What could be the possible reason. QoS enabled on sydney router and Tokyo router. But for the Internet backbone traffic is transperent.

Planning the same deployment between Tokyo and New York next month or so

Pls suggest

Some questions for you. Who is your ISPand what is the bandwidth? How many concurrent calls are you trying to support? What is your SLA regarding delay, jitter and packet loss? What exactly are the users complaining about? What is the equipment you are using?