cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where oh where did my voice mail ports go???

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Situation:

Rebooted UNITY server last night; when it came back up, there were no ports under Status Monitor, where before there had been sixteen (16) of them.

Background:

I have a Unity UM server (UNITY) running 2.4.6.161 on Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 1. This handles voice mail for two CallManager servers (PUBLISHER and SUBSCRIBER) running 3.0(12) on Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 2.

Cisco Unity-CM TSP 3.0(4) handled communications between Unity and CallManager servers.

Voice mail was working but some users were complaining about things like the MWI lamp not lighting; or others would suddenly and inexplicably get a bunch of voice messages, some dating back several days or even weeks. It never did that when I would test it; but enough people were mentioning symptoms that I didn't rule out the possibility that something was wrong.

I figured it might be a good thing to reboot UNITY, since it had been running non-stop for months. But when the server came back up, nobody could access voice mail at all. People would just get a fast busy signal.

Looking at UNITY's Event Viewer Application Logs, I saw some TAPI errors (520, 507, 517) from source AvMiu_MC, and a warning (505) from AvMiu_MC that "Component Miu initialize succeeded, but no ports are available." That's when I went to Status Monitor to check out the ports, and found that they were gone.

I see there is a newer TSP 6.0(2b) than what I have. I downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to want to install correctly: when I follow the instructions to double-click SkinnySetup.exe, there are no on-screen prompts for me to see or respond to. There is a delay of several seconds, then it a pop-up says "TSP installation was successful. Please reboot your computer to update the wave driver." Rebooting does not get me my ports back.

No voice mail capability; no access to automated attendant application we created from call handlers, subscriber mailboxes, and caller inputs. People are having to answer their phones. (What a novel concept!)

Request:

Any helpful suggestions to get voice mail back on-line would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

5 Replies 5

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Supplemental info:

I have read through the Release Notes for TSP 6.0(2b) so many times today I can just about quote them on demand. I have met the following system requirements:

* Unity is 2.4(6.161) which is within tolerances.

* Each of three different accounts I have tried on UNITY are in the local machine Administrators group: Administrator (local user), RSRC\UnityAdmin (resource domain user), and PASD\ExchangeAdmin (accounts domain user).

* UNITY was upgraded to Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 before attempting install of TSP 6.0(2b). I also get the same lack of prompts during TSP installation with earlier releases 6.0(2) and 6.0(2a).

* I am not changing the number of voice messaging ports. I just want to get the ones that I had, back.

* This is not the first time Cisco CallManager integration is being installed on this machine. It had TSP 3.0(4) running on it for months.

Just looking to eliminate the obvious, so we can move on to the next step...

Can you reboot and grab the latest errors and warnings from the application event log and post them?

In the meantime I seem to have fixed the problem, although I do not know what the original cause was.

Having successively tried loading TSP 6.0(2a) and then TSP 6.0(2) and not seeing any ports after rebooting the server each time, I decided to Win2K Service Pack 2 the UNITY server again. I got one of those Service Pack screens that indicate I was "half-packed" because even though many other points on the server told me I was running at Service Pack 2, the Service Pack screen dutifully told me I was about to go from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. (I thought I was already there.) So the first Packing was apparently not thorough enough.

Moral of the story: don't trust Microsoft. You can never Service Pack their software enough. Once is not enough. Next time you Service Pack, do it again, and again, and again, to be sure it's fully packed.

If you want, I'll post the Event Viewer Application Logs later; maybe we can figure out what caused the problem in the first place. The urgency But for now, I gotta get home and get some sleep (been awake since 3:00am PST Oct 17, 2002 -- over 36 hrs. now -- wasn't expecting to have to pull an all-nighter).

Well, I had it fixed, and then I lost it. Trying to prove to myself that it would survive a stop-and-start or a reboot, I did both. Still trying to get the ports back; had 'em once, I can get 'em again.

Here's the App. Logs:

************************************************************************************

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvMiu_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 520

Date: 10/18/2002

Time: 7:36:31 PM

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY

Description:

Component Miu: Thread 0x000007C0 had a Failure in Method CAvMiuTapiMonitor::InitializeEx()

DESCRIPTION: TAPI lineInitializeEx() failed with 0x80000048 (LINEERR_OPERATIONFAILED).

DETAILS:

TAPI DeviceID: -1

Service Provider: .

************************************************************************************

Event Category: Init

Event ID: 507

Description:

Component Miu initialize failed (Failed to find all Tapi Devices).

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 517

Description:

Component Miu: Thread 0x000007C0 had a Failure in Method CAvMiu::Initialize()

DESCRIPTION: Failed to find all Tapi Devices.

Event Type: Warning

Event ID: 505

Description:

Component Miu initialize succeeded, but no ports are available.

Event Source: AvNotifier_MC

Event ID: 1019

Time: 7:36:50 PM

Description:

No ports with capabilities suitable for Pager.

Description:

No ports with capabilities suitable for MWI.

Description:

No ports with capabilities suitable for Message Delivery.

The urgency is back on...

Urgency factor is low again. After a couple hours more rooting around on the local LAN, I found the original TSP 3.0(4) software we had been running before the crash. Followed instructions on how to remove any existing TSP (automatic would not work, went in manually) and then reloaded 3.0(4), PORTS ARE THERE AGAIN.

So now I'm back to where I was (plus UNITY is bumped up from Win2K SP1 to SP2). Will let it run Monday, then try to upgrade it to 6.0(2b) on Tuesday. Still not sure why I lost my originals, though.

Stupid question: anybody know why the TSP software jumped from 3.something in January 2002 all the way up into the 6.something range by October? Just curious...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: