cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can different model Nexus be configured with vPC?

Good afternoon,

I have 2 Nexus 5596 up and running vpc on a client. I need to substitute those equipments with another Nexus model the 5600.

Is it possible for me to configure one 5600 and connect it to one of the 5596( disconnecting the other 5596), maintaining the vPC up?

Meaning, can i migrate this solutions one nexus 5600 at a time ? interconnecting like this a 5596 with a 5600 with the same vpc domain up and running?

Thank you so much in advance,

Joao Santos

11 Replies 11

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Personally I've never tried this scenario but potentially it may work. According to this link a number of operational paramters need to be identical between the two switches such as link speed and duplex in order to establish the peer link. If they match then the link becomes active.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

Don't forget to rate all posts that are helpfu.

Yes Sean, 

Theoretically the only thing i'd have to worry is if all the vPC configurations and the consistency parameters match on both sides, but practically speaking, this might be something that is not possible to do and i am yet to find any information at Cisco that either confirms or denies that vPC between two different Nexus is possible or not.

I'll try digging a little deeper to see if i can find something but thank you so much for your reply.

Cheers.

Hi Joaos, where you able to get an answer from Cisco on this? I'm also in need of the answer as there are no documentation that states of vPC would work with two different Nexus switch models. I need to know if vPC would work with N9K to N6K or N5K. Appreciate your response. Thank you.

-Andrey

hello there,

Just in case anyone else has this question, i was able to test this solution and in fact you can have vPC using different model Nexus. While connecting the peer-keepalive and peer-link from one Nexus 56xx to the 55xx , i only lost 2 pings out of 10K, meaning the loss is minimum if you ever have to do something like this.

Thanks for the update jaos.

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
This will not work as it won't pass the Type 1 configuration parameters.
Please see bullet point 3 which states

You can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 5600 Series switches in a vPC directly to another switch or to a server. vPC peer switches must be of the same type, for example, you can connect a pair of Cisco Nexus 6000 series switches but you cannot connect a Cisco Nexus 5500 Series switch to a Cisco Nexus 6000 Series switch in a vPC topology.

Please see this link...
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/interfaces/7x/b_5600_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x/config_vpc.html?bookSearch=true

Thanks Rick. Appreciate your response on this.

This document really help answer the question. Trying to look for similar document that would confirm the same with Nexus 9K series but i think it's not published yet. 

I would doubt that would work either, because the N9K's use completely different ASIC's from the Nexus 5K series. You could however connect a pair of N9K's to a pair of N5K's in a back-to-back vPC configuration as shown in the image.

Copy that. Thanks Rick. Appreciate the help. :-)

Can you mark it helpful and solved please if you don't mind. Have a great weekend.

Thanks!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: