cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I configure an ASA 5510 to accept frame-relay?

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing an old router that is an endpoint for a frame-relay connection.  Can I use an ASA?  if so what are the interface commands for the DLCI and encapsulation?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, an ASA cannot terminate Frame Relay. That will have to be done on an upstream router. 

View solution in original post

It depends in where you are in the world. I don't think you can order a new frame relay circuit in most parts of the USA. Every provider handoff I've seen ordered in the past five years (Norhtern Virginia and Metro Washington DC area) has either been an Ethernet (optical or copper) or in some cases dark fiber for inter-data center.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, an ASA cannot terminate Frame Relay. That will have to be done on an upstream router. 

Thank you Marvin.

How long do you think it will take for F/R to be supplanted by carrier ethernet?

It depends in where you are in the world. I don't think you can order a new frame relay circuit in most parts of the USA. Every provider handoff I've seen ordered in the past five years (Norhtern Virginia and Metro Washington DC area) has either been an Ethernet (optical or copper) or in some cases dark fiber for inter-data center.