cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does FabricPath relies only on IS-IS hello exchange to detect link failures or does it implement BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection)?

doctor_1602
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to understand if FabricPath relies only on IS-IS hello exchange to detect link failures or if it implements BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection) to reduce the failure detection time. I noticed n RFC to introduce BFD in TRILL signed by a person from Cisco, so I was wondering if they adopted that in FP.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FP uses IS-IS hello to detect link failures. In a DC environment, P2P link is used to interconect FP and FP IS-IS will react to port down notification.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FP uses IS-IS hello to detect link failures. In a DC environment, P2P link is used to interconect FP and FP IS-IS will react to port down notification.

HTH,

jerry

So.. it doesn't wait for a certain time after which if no hellos are received the link is considered down. It react as soon as a port down notification is received... right?
So what if aggregated links are used? How does it behave?

If it is inside the same DC with P2P link, yes. FP will react when it detects port down.

I am assuming aggregated links means DWDM to another DC. If this is what you mean, then it will rely on the IS-IS hello timer.

I was wondering about a Link Aggregation Group or what Cisco refers to as EtherChannel. I guess it is possible to use these links between switches... right?

Yes, EtherChannel/Port-Channel is preferred to connect between FP nodes, and Port-Channel will behave the same link the individual link (it is P2P).

Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: